fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following fake company names, fake addresses, non-existent institutions/documents or other details have appeared in scams before:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "affidavit of claim" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "diplomatic immunity" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "diplomatic agent" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "abuja" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "Lt General Peter Olu" (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 02:58:42 +0100
Subject: SECURITY CONFIDENTIAL DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY PAYMENT
SECURITY CONFIDENTIAL DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY PAYMENT
Attention: Our Honorable Beneficiary
I am General Peter Olu (Ltd) National Special Adviser to the New President Muhammadu Buhari Federal Republic of Nigeria, (Presidential Code: PC8008). I am delighted to inform you that the contract panel, which just concluded it seating in Abuja just released your name among contractors to benefit from the Diplomatic Immunity Payment. This Panel was primarily delegated to investigate manipulated contract and inheritance claims,contracts and over-invoiced payment as the negative effects has eaten deep into the Economy of our dear country. Disregard any replica of this message without the presidential allocation code as stated above.
However, we wish to bring to your notice that your contract/ inheritance profile is still reflecting in our central computeronic presidential system as an unpaid contract/ inheritance during auditing excise. Your payment file was forwarded to my office by the auditors as unclaimed fund, we wish to use this medium to inform you that for the time being, Federal Government of Nigeria have stopped further payment through bank to bank transfer, payment by draft or ATM except on some special instructions, due to foreign beneficiary numerous petitions to United Nations, FBI, CIA and international police against Nigeria on wrong payment and diversion of foreign funds to different accounts.
In this regards we are going to send your contract or inheritance part payment of US$4.5 Million. This office hereby advise you to obtain only the insurance/affidavit of claim certificate as instructed by the Federal Ministry of Finance and United Nation. The money is coming on 1 security proof box. The box are sealed with synthetic nylon seal and padded with machine. Please you don't have to worry for anything,as the transaction is 100% secure. The box are coming with a Diplomatic agent who will accompany the box to your house address.
Be informed that we have verified your payment file as directed to us and your name is next on the list of our outstanding contract/inheritance fund beneficiaries to receive their payment at this plenary section of the year 2018 and due to too many funds beneficiaries due for payment at this plenary section of the year, you are entitled to receive the sum of Four Million five Hundred United States Dollars (US$4,500,000) only, as part payment so as to enable us pay other beneficiaries. To facilitate with the process of this transaction, please kindly re-confirm
the following information below:
1) Your full Name and Address;
2) Phones, Fax and Mobile No;
3) Profession, Age and Marital Status
4) Copy of any valid form of your Identification;
Note: The diplomat does not know the original contents of the box. What I declared to them as the contents is Sensitive Photographic Film Materials for security reasons. I did not declare money to them please.
If they call you and ask you the contents please tell them the same thing Ok. Confirm the receipt of this message and send the requirements to me immediately you receive this message. note that is urgent you get back to us because the boxes are schedule to live as soon as we hear from you. Call me immediately.
Lt General Peter Olu (Rtd).
National Security Adviser to the President
Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Call me on my direct phone: (+234-7051 999 915