fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Fraud email example:

From: "Prince Daniel Kabila" <> (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 13:51:50 +0100
Subject: Letter from Daniel Kabila

Dear Sir,

May I first introduce myself, I am Prince Daniel Kabila the son of the late Democratic Republic of Congo President Laurent Desire Kabila of the blessed Memory.

I know this letter might come to you as a surprise but I honestly do not intend to surprise you. I write this letter in respect of my intention to invest the sum of US$12(Twelve Million United State Dollars) with you. I inherited this money from my mother. This money was got through sale of Diamond and timber when my father was the head of state. My mother used her privilege position to engage in the business of Diamond and timber since she knows that her survival will depend on how much she can get out of the privilege situation.

When my father was assassinated on 16TH Jan. 2001 by one of his bodyguards Lt. Rashidi Kasereke through the conspiracy of some top army officers that wanted to topple him. I escaped to Accra, Ghana because of the fear that I might be arrested by my half brother Lt.General Joseph Kabila the present head of state. Actually his mother and my mother are not in the best of relationship because of who among them will be the first lady tussle and this ultimately affected us their children.

My mother advised me to leave For Accra, Ghana where these funds were deposited for safe keeping with a Private Security Company. On getting to Ghana where I have been living since then as a political refugee I am seeking for a reliable foreigner who can come down to Accra, Ghana to clear the funds in his/her name as the sole beneficiary of the Consignment. This is so because of my status here as a political Refugee. And moreover I wouldn't want to take risk because this money is all that my Mother and I are depending on. My stepbrother Joseph, who is now the present leader of my country has seized all my father's assets and money. He left us empty handed without knowing about this funds deposited the Security Company here. This is why I honestly contacted you because investing this money abroad should be the best for me and my mother. I will be honored if I can be given the privilege of dealing with the investment proceeding with you.

I expect you to be trustworthy and kind enough to respond to this distress call to save My Mother and I from a hopeless future. And if you agree, I hereby agree to compensate your sincere and candid effort in this regard with 20% of the principal sum. While the remaining 80% will be invested meaningfully for our future if possible in your area of business and different sectors of the Economy in your country which are dividends yielding.

Whatever your decision is please reach me immediately through my email. And keep this letter tight secret for the interest of my Family.

Best regards,
Prince Daniel Kabila


Anti-fraud resources: