fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Fraud email example:

From: "Suleman Balim." <> (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 16:43:20 +0000

Mr.Suleman Balim
Rue Portin X Blaize
Diagne St. Louis Senegal
Date:2th November,2004.

Attention: President/C.E.O

I am a branch manager of a Security Company here in St. Luis-Senegal. I got your address and good profile from one of your country's CD RUM BUSINESS DIRECTORIES.
There is a deal I wish to tender for your considerations and acceptance to execute with me.

It was a week ago that one new customer came to my office and declared his interest to deposit two trunk boxes containing photographic materials with my company for a period of four weeks only. I then took the boxes into the inspection room which is next door to my office.

In line with my company's operational procedures, I gave him "Deposit Application Forms" to complete with his passport photographs. I then informed him that the managing director of my company will have to inspect the content of the boxes before his application forms could be endorsed and Deposit Certificate issued to him as depositor. I noticed that he became uncomfortable immediately I told him that the boxes would be inspected.

It is because of my suspicion that I decided to personally go to the MD's office to inform him that we have a new customer who wants to deposit items. To my greatest surprise, I came back to my office to see that the man was already making his way out my office with the two boxes. When my personal security was trying to stop him, he hastily jumped into his car and ran away.
Unfortunately, he could not make his escape with one of the boxes.

I took the left over box and went to my office. I was shocked when I opened it and found out that it contains United States of American dollars in "Hundred Dollar" bills. After the official working hours, I stayed back and counted the money. It is original Forty Million American Dollars .

Fortunately, when I was listening to African news the next day, the same man that came to my office was shown on television. The news is that the man is a rebel leader in Angola who ran away with the group's money made from sales of gold from the area under his control in Angola.

Presently, I am the only person who knows about this money and since there is now records in my company regarding its existence, I am contacting you to seek your
permission and advice on how to urgently make shipment of this money to Europe in your name as the beneficiary of the consignment. You shall travel to Europe to receive it for safe keeping pending my arrival to meet you over there.

After the deal, I want 20% of this money to be shared to some charity homes to be decided by you and I. Then we shall share equally the remaining 80%.
I will solely rely on your business experience/advise to invest my share of the transaction in your country.

Please acknowledge immediately receipt of this confidential and important message if you are interested.

Dear send me mail through my private email address for easy
Mr.Suleman Balim

Anti-fraud resources: