fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: john ibeh <>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 16:46:45 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Hello Friend...

Mr. John Ibeh
National Electric Power Authority {NEPA}
Lagos, Nigeria.
Please reply to

Dear Sir/Ma,
I am the financial controller, National Electric Power Authority {NEPA} here in Lagos, Nigeria. My colleagues have assigned me to seek for assistance of a reliable foreigner through whom we can transfer the sum of U.S$25,000,000.00{Twenty Five Million U.S.Dollars} only which arose from the deliberate over inflated contract value for the general expansion of kanji dam thermal station awarded by the national Electric Power Authority {NEPA} for increased energy generation to Nigeria and some other western African countries.
The contract was awarded in 1998 during the General Abacha regime to an expatriate company with the consideration of 10% agreed commission on the total contract value. The contract has since been completed and the contractor equally been paid in full thus leaving behind U.S$25,000,000.00 being our share that is remaining in the federal government of Nigeria account. The current favorable political/economic climate in the country now presented us an opportunity for this money to be transferred out of the country. Our contact in the federal ministry of finance and the Central Bank of Nigeria have given us a go ahead advice to begin the process of facilitating the earliest remittance hence we have set in motion, the necessary machinery for the smooth take off/completion of this transaction as soon as we hear from you.
We have agreed that after the transfer of the money to your account, you shall retain 30% of it as your share, while the remaining 70% shall be ours. We decided to give you this percentage in order to motivate you and also to make you feel satisfied at the end of this transaction. The nature of your business or profession is not particularly relevant for the success of this transaction. All we are requiring of you is your willingness to cooperate with us effectively and assurance that our own share will be given to us when this money is finally transferred into your account.
All the necessary precaution has been taken care of understandably, to ensure a no risk situation on both sides during and after the transaction. All things being equal, we are optimistic of concluding on this matter successfully within ten working days. Since we have no knowledge of business, our plan is to invest substantial part of our share of the proceeds in real estate, stocks or any other viable business which you may advice in your country or elsewhere because many of our years has been spent in public service as civil servants and we intend resigning our present position for private business. Please if this proposal is acceptable to you, please get back to me via email above with your complete company or personal data as well as your banking coordinates to enable us put up official claim on the contract sum in question.
Mr.John Ibeh
Please reply to

Be a chatter box. Enjoy free PC-to-PC calls with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

Anti-fraud resources: