fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: "alexbowen" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 02:27:43 +0430

Barrister Alex Bowen
99 Bishops Gate, 10th Floor
London EC2R 7DH

Dear Partner,
This mail will definitely be coming to you as a surprise, but I must
crave your indulgence to
introduce myself to you, am Barrister Alex Bowen, Legal
Practitioner,based in London.
However I got your contact through the International web
directory.During a recent investigation, reconciliation and auditing of
Barclays Bank Plc's account, they discovered a dormant account with a
huge amount of Money Valued US$50,000,000.00 (Fifty Million US Dollars
Only) that belongs to one of my late Clients, Mr. Norman R. Vinsen, from
Beverwijk, Netherlands,who died with his family in a plane crash14 years
ago. So the fund has been dormant in his account with The Barclays Bank
Plc Head Office in London without any claim of the fund, from his family
or relation before now.Their discovery to this development warranted
them to contact my chamber as
Attorneys to the their late customer.

The Banking law here stipulates that if such money remains unclaimed all
these years, it will be forfeited to the Bank Treasury as an unclaimed
bill. It is only a foreigner that can stand as a next of kin and it is
upon this discovery that I decided to contact you to collaborate with
you to pull out this dormant fund. In order to avert this negative
development, going through my
archives, I now remembered and brought out the last will of my late
client where he was yet to fix in the name of the next of kin to the

I now seek your permission to fix in your name in the WILL which I will
redraft and have you stand in as next of kin to Norman R. Vinsen, so
that the fund will be released and paid into your account as next of kin
since the bank has requested me to present his WILL for transfer of
funds to his next of kin. I could have done this deal alone but because
of my position as his Attorney
and due to the need to have a confidential dealing with someone far away
from United Kingdom as any thing otherwise would eventual raise an eye
brow on my side during the time of transfer.
I will also get a Letter of Administration/Affidavit in your name for
the legal transfer of the funds to you.

However, on smooth conclusion of this transaction, you will be entitled
to 40% of the total fund, while the remaining 60% will be for me. What I
want from you is for you to act as the deceased next of kin. Bear in
mind that this proposal is 100% risk free and transfer will be legally
kindly forward the following information in your reply mail:
1. Your full legal names, contact address, direct phone and fax numbers
2.Your occupation, date of birth, sex and marital status as well as
copyof your identification (International passport or driver's lisence

Further information will be given to you as soon as I receive your
positive response. Please reply me

Best Regards,
Barrister Alex Bowen

Anti-fraud resources: