fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: John Garang <>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 06:42:53 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Please may I have your attention in this letter.


Attn: Pls

I know that you will be surprise to read from me, but please consider this letter as a request from an orphan in need of help. I am John Garang Jnr , The son of Late Mr .John Garang, the rebel who rose to become Sudan's vice-president, who died in a helicopter crash last year.

I am solicit for your assistance to transfer the sum of US$10,3M (Ten million Three hundred thousand, US dollars) to your personal account, pending if the fund will be safe without any obstruction.

This money was part of the fund secured in A SECURITY COMPANY IN GHANA by my late Father when he was in power.

As his son, he relied on me; my attention was drawn to this said amount in case of unforeseen circumstances.
This fear was actualized on the 6th August 2005. when fourteen people died in the crash, including MY FATHER Mr. John Garang, his security staff and Ugandan military officers. (May his gentle soul rest in peace)

Please I will like you to go through this website.

On March this year rebel shoot my mother I was left alone. I left my country Sudan for the seek of my life, I am currently in Ghana as a refugee.

Please I am seeking your assistance to help me retrieve this consignment from security company here in Ghana where my late father deposited it as family affair.

For your assistance i we offer you 30% of the total sum, after the successful move of the consignment to your country, the remaining 70% I will investment it your country under your supervision, I will never come back to Africa again.

Finally, you are requested to maintain the secrecy of this proposal.

God bless you abundantly.

Yours Truly,

Mrs. John Garang Jnr.

Access over 1 million songs - Yahoo! Music Unlimited.

Anti-fraud resources: