fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "waiting for your urgent response" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "cheque " (Beware of any scheme that involves cashing checks or money orders and then wiring a portion of the funds somewhere - you'll be liable for the entire amount if the checks or money orders turn out to be fake, even after you have received and forwarded cash. If it's a lottery prize, remember that real lotteries do not pay large prizes by check. They wire the money directly to your bank account and you do not pay for that. Many scammers promise a large check only in order to then demand payment of courier fees for a fake courier service. )
- "remain blessed" (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +22993698025 (Benin, probably a prepaid mobile phone)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "jamsewilliam26 Gazeta.pl" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 22:45:38 +0800
Subject: best regarding..
I have Paid the fee for you through Cheque Draft.But the manager of the Bank
told me that before the check will reach you that it will expire.So i told
him to cash $1.5M, so all the necessary arrangement of delivering the $1.5M
in cash was deposited with GLOBAL EXPRESS COURIER COMPANY. This is there
information that you have to contact to delivery your package.
Name: DR.ALLEN UBA
CONTACT PHONE+229-9369-8025 OR 0022997824166
Please, Send them your contacts information to able them locate you
immediately they arrived in your country with your BOX .
This is what they need from you.
1. YOUR FULL NAME
2.YOUR HOME ADDRESS.
3.YOUR CURRENT HOME TELEPHONE NUMBER.
4.YOUR CURRENT OFFICE TELEPHONE.
5.A COPY OF YOUR PICTURE
Please make sure you send this needed info's to the Director general of
Global Express Courier Company DR.ALLEN UBA with the address given to you.
Note ;The GLOBAL EXPRESS COURIER COMPANY don't know the contents of the
Box. I registered it as a Box of an Africa cloths. They don't know it
contents money. this is to avoid them delaying with the Box. don't let them
know that is money that is in that Box.I am waiting for your urgent
Thanks and Remain Blessed.