fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: Mrs Helen Peterson <>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 02:20:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Dear Beloved in Christ

Dear Beloved In Christ

I BRING YOU CALVARY GREETINGS. I am Mrs Helen Peterson from Cape Verde, I am married to Mr.Stevenson Peterson in Ivory Coast, I and my late husband was into, Estate management and also a government Estate building contractor before my husband death on January 25 2007. He died after a brief illness that lasted for only four days. We were married for eleven years without a child due my fibroid problem. Since my husband death I have been diagnosed with oesophageal cancer. Recently, my Doctor told me that I would not last for the next Four months due to cancer problem. From all indications, my condition is really deteriorating and is quite obvious that I may not live more than two months, because the cancer stage has gotten to a very dangerous stage. When my late husband was alive we deposited the sum of $2.5 Million (USD) dollars in a Security Company in Ivory Coast. Presently this money is still in the security company. Having known my condition I have decided to donate
this fund to good person that will utilize this money the way I am going to instruct herein.I want to you use at last 90% this fund to visit the orphanage homes, poor aged widows,poor sick ones at the hospital as I want this to be the last good thing I did on earth before my death, then take the remaining 10% to take good care of your good Home because every worker deserves his wages. l took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit this money that is why i want to donate the money for charity. I am not afraid of death hence I know where I am going.I know that I am going to be in the bosom of the Lord.My happiness is that I lived a good life. Write to me on my email address immediately and assure me that you will act accordingly as I Stated herein.Thanks and Remain blessed. l remain yours Sister.

Mrs Helen Peterson

Get your new Email address!
Grab the Email name you've always wanted before someone else does!

Anti-fraud resources: