fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: Amin Abid <>
Reply-To: <>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 09:18:24 +0000
Subject: Reply Urgent Please

Dear Friend,

My name is Mr. Amin Abid. I am the Manager, Foreign Operations Department, African Development Bank, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.

I want you to indicate your interest to receive a transfer of €12.6 Million Euro into your account. I would like you to stand as a next of kin to our deceased customer whose account is presently dormant. I wish to inform you that 40% of this money will be for you as foreign partner, in respect to the provision of a foreign account, while the remaining 60% would be for me.

Upon receipt of your reply, I will send to you a text of application which you shall send to our bank as the next of kin to the deceased.

Trusting to hear from you as soon as possible.

Yours faithfully,
Amin Abid

NB: Reply through my alternate e-mail address:

Anti-fraud resources: