fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447031864517 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "UNITED NATION (UN)DEBT RECONCILIATION DEPARTMENT" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 23:52:02 +0100
Subject: UNITED NATION (UN)DEBT RECONCILIATION DEPARTMENT
UNITED NATION (UN)
DEBT RECONCILIATION DEPARTMENT.
OUR REF: UN-0XX2/987/2008
CHAIRMAN COMMITTEE ON FOREIGN
CONTRACT AND INHERITANCE FUND PAYMENT NOTIFICATION
FROM UNITED NATIONS AND USA GOVERNMENT
SIR. ERIC CHAPUISAT.
U.S.A GOVERNMENT, WORLD BANK AND UNITED NATIONS ORGANIZATION OFFICIALHAS
APPROVED TO PAY YOU PART PAYMENT OF YOUR INHERITANCE FUND AND
LOTTREY/AWARD WINNING PAYMENT VALUED OF USD8.5M.
THE BRITISH PRIME MINISTER IN CONJUNCTION WITH U.S.A GOVERNMENT, WORLD BANK AND
UNITED NATIONS ORGANIZATION DO HEREBY GIVE THIS IRREVOCABLE
APPROVAL ORDER WITH THIS RELEASE CODE: GNC/3480/02/08 IN YOUR FAVOUR FOR YOUR
CONTRACT ENTITLEMENT AND YOUR INHERITANCE FUND WHICH YOU HAVE
NOT RECEIVED YET, NOW IT WAS APPROVED BY THE WORLD BANK, THAT YOUR
CONTRACT/INHERITANCE FUND SHOULD BE RELEASED THROUGH UNITED NATIONS
SO YOU ARE ADVISED TO PRESENT ANY OF YOUR CHOICE, ON HOW YOU WANT TO RECEIVE
YOUR FUND, EITHER BY BANK DRAFT OR BY ATM CARD OR WIRE
TRANSFER, SO IN REGARDS TO THE TRANSFER YOU CAN PROVIDE ANY OF YOUR BANK
ACCOUNT DETAILS FOR THE TRANSFER OF YOUR FUND WITH OUT DELAY. I
AM CONTACTING YOU IN REGARDS TO THE INSTRUCTION GIVEN BY UNITED NATIONS, PLEASE
I WILL URGE YOU TO TRY AND INDICATE ON HOW YOU WANT YOUR FUND TO BE RELEASED TO
YOU FROM THE THREE OPTIONS ABOVE.AS A MATTER OF FACT, YOU ARE REQUIRED TO DEAL
AND COMMUNICATE ONLY
WITH MR. TOM BROCKE, HEAD OF INTERNATIONAL REMMITTANCE CITIBANK, UNITED
KINGDOM, WITH THE HELP OF MONITORY TEAM FROM THE CITIBANK OF
NEW YORK WHICH IS OUR OFFICIAL REMITTING BANK, COMMITTEE ON FOREIGN PAYMENT
MATTERS IN UNITED NATIONS, HAS LOOK UP TO MAKE SURE YOU
RECEIVE YOUR FUND. SO CONTACT: MR TOM BROCKE ON HIS CONTACT INFORMATION, DIRECT
TEL/FAX:( 44-703-1864-517) EMAIL:
(firstname.lastname@example.org), FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE OF YOUR
CONTRACT/INHERITANCE/AWARD WINNING CLAIM.
BE INFORMED THAT YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CORRESPOND WITH ANY PERSON OR OFFICE
ANYMORE, YOU ARE REQUIRED TO SEND BELLOW INFORMATION FOR YOUR TRANSFER.
1) YOUR FULL NAME:
2) ADDRESS, CITY, STATE AND COUNTRY:
3) PERSONAL CELL PHONE, FAX AND MOBILE:
4) COMPANY NAME (IF ANY) POSITION AND ADDRESS:
5) BANK NAME:
6) BANK ADDRESS:
7) ACCOUNT NUMBER:
8) ROUTING NUMBER OR SWIFT CODE NO:
9) OCCUPATION, AGE AND MARITAL STATUS:
10) COPY OF YOUR INT'L PASSPORT/DRIVERS LICENSE:
NOTE: YOUR PERSONAL CONTACT/COMMUNICATION CODE WITH CITIBANK IS (005),
YOU ARE ADVICE TO SEND YOUR FULL BANKING INFORMATION TO THE CITIBANK
LONDON, INTERNATIONAL REMITTANCE DIRECTOR HEADED BY MR. TOM BROCKE
AND MAKE SURE YOU SPEAK WITH HIM, WITH YOUR NEW PAYMENT CODE FOR THE
RELEASE OF YOUR PAYMENT AND SEND TO HIM ALL YOUR BANKING INFORMATION NOW.
CONTACT PERSON: MR.TOM BROCKE
POSITION: HEAD OF INTERNATIONAL REMITTANCE CITIBANK OF LONDON.
DIRECT TEL/FAX: 44-703186-4517
CHAIRMAN COMMITTEE ON FOREIGN CONTRACT AND INHERITANCE FUND
PAYMENT NOTIFICATION FROM UNITED NATIONS AND USA GOVERNMENT.
SIR. ERIC CHAPUISAT.