fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +34608526311 (Spain, prepaid mobile phone)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 05:26:33 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: ATM NOTIFICATION!!!
c/ Los anagels7,45976
Dear Email owner,
The Automatic Teller Machine Inc.(ATM) have chosen you by the board of trustees via random email as one of the final recipients for the 2009 cash grant promo.
The aim of this promo is to continue to encourage the use of atm card,and to improve the standard of living globally,by giving out once in a "life time cash grant promo" ATM Card Value (1.4 MILLION EURO) to 5 lucky recipients respectively,for the year financial grant promo,in accordance with the enabling act of Parliament world development programme.
You have been granted an ATM Card, with a sum value (1.4 MILLION EURO) only.We have secured the release of the funds to you as soon as you call and email the financier and assigned agent,with your Full Name,Mobile,Telephone and Fax Number,Occupation,Mailing Address and Country below.
Tel: +34 608 526 311
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
THE ATM CARD PAYMENT CENTER HAS BEEN MANDATED TO ISSUE OUT AN ATM CARD VALUE (1.4 MILLION EURO) WHICH YOU WILL USE TO WITHDRAW MONEY IN ANY ATM MACHINE,FROM ANY PART OF THE WORLD AS PAYMENT FOR THIS FISCAL YEAR 2009. Note always quote your (ATM CASH GRANT NUMBER: W-342-8876) in all your emails.
Director of Operations
Email sent using my WebMail access.