fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "i will like you to " (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "hundred thousand us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "utmost confidentiality" (scammers urge victims to keep the transaction secret because they don't want anyone to point out to them that it is a scam)
- "is 100% risk free" (almost true for the criminal trying to scam you - arrests of online criminals are rare)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "barr." (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +31644777769 (Netherlands, prepaid mobile phone)
Fraud email example:
From: "Luciano Pavarotti" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 14:49:47 +0200
Subject: !!! NOTIFICATION OF BEQUEST!!!
Notification of Bequest
On behalf of the Trustees and Executor of the Estate of Late Mr. Luciano Pavarotti, I hereby attempt to reach you again. I wish to notify you that Late Mr Luciano Pavarotti made you a beneficiary to His WILL. He left the sum of Ten Million five Hundred Thousand US Dollars.($10,500,000.00) to you in the codicil land last testament to his WILL. This may sound strange and Unbelievable to you, but it is real and true. Luciano Pavarotti was known for his humanitarian work.
He was the founder and the host of the 'Pavarotti & Friends' annual charity concerts and related activities in Morena, Italy. There he sang with international stars of all styles to raise funds for several worthy UN causes and charity homes. Late Luciano Pavarotti until his death was a very dedicated Christian who loved to give out. His great philanthropy earned him numerous awards during his life time, late Luciano Pavarotti died at the Age of 71 years.
According to him this money is to support your activities and to help the poor and the Needy including charity organisations of your choice for the good work of the lord, and also to help the motherless and less privilege and Assistance of the widows according to (JAMES 1:27). He took this decision because he does not have any child that will inherit this money. I will like you to read more about him on this website. (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0667556/bio)
I must let you know that this transaction is 100% risk free and the nature of your business does not necessarily matter. For assisting this offering Late Mr. Luciano Pavarotti is offering you 30% of the total sum for your good will assistance, 65% is for the charity work & 5% will be mapped out for any expenses that may incurred during the course of this transaction. Finally, all we are demand from you is assurance that you will not sit on this Funds when it finally gets to your personal account or company's account in your Country. If this proposal given to you by Late Mr. Mr. Luciano Pavarotti is acceptable by you please confirm your interest via Email and we shall forward for your perusal any documentation to satisfy you that this project is a legitimate one.
NB: We will appreciate your utmost confidentiality in this matter until the task is accomplished as we don't want anything that will jeopardize the last wish of Late Mr. Luciano Pavarotti because we don't want the family and relation or anybody to know about this transaction due to the instruction given to us by Late Mr. Luciano Pavarotti.
Please you should fill the information below for more charities and identification of your Information's we have here and also contact the lawyer in charge with the email address below so that the process of this transaction can proceed? And he will direct you on how to contact the paying bank for the release of your (money) fund.
1. Full Name.
2. Mobile Telephone number,
4. Contact address/Country.
Yours in Service,
BARRISTER MORRIS VAN COOPER (Senior Partner)
ATTORNEY & ASS. Notary Public Solicitor & Legal Practitioner
Advocate Address: 35 Group Middle Levees 87, 12 Emirates Towers Office,
Den Haag, Netherlands.
Fax: +31-84-731- 7621
Personal Email: email@example.com