fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following fake company names, fake addresses, non-existent institutions/documents or other details have appeared in scams before:
- "liberty seguros" (no such agent exists)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +34693520981 (Spain, prepaid mobile phone)
Fraud email example:
From: "Euro Million Co-ordinator" (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:36:00 +0200
Subject: EURO MILLION SELECTION DRAWS
EURO MILLION SELECTION DRAWS
This is to notify you that this e-mail address was entered during the Spanish Lottery Euro Million Selection Draws and has won the sum of 450,550 in the 2009 Annual Prospect.
For claim please contact the below company for immediate process of your claim; Remember to quote these numbers below for verification by the company. REF: PP-21180-ES and BATCH: PP-245-44 you should include Your Name, Address, Sex, Age, Occupation, Nationality, Phone Number
Company: LIBERTY SEGUROS S.A
Email:email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Domingo Cortes (Claim Director)
Dr.Maria Jose Muyor
Euro Million Co-ordinator