fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a company representative scam. This type of job offer scam involves the cashing of fake checks and money orders. It could expose you to losses of tens of thousands of dollars as well as to the risk of criminal prosecution and (in some cases) imprisonment.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Amanda Carlton" (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 18:21:37 +0100
Subject: Sales Representative Needed Urgently
Compton Verney Arts Gallery
ALL CORRESPONDENCE SHOULD BE STRICTLY DIRECTED TO :
The ART Gallery in the UNITED KINGDOM needs more FINANCE
CO-ORDINATORS in the United States, Canada and the rest of Europe due to increase in our
Clients in these areas.
It is an online job that would not affect your present job.
COMPTON VERNEY ARTS specialize in the work of
European Art Brut masters, these include Adolf Wolfli, Edmund
Monsiel, Scottie Wilson, Madge Gill and Johann Hauser. We also represents
American artists Henry Darger, Malcolm McKesson, Joe
Coleman, Alex Grey, and Charles Benefiel.
All works sold by the COMPTON VERNEY ARTS Gallery is of guaranteed
authenticity and provenance and
these are payments for goods already bought and delivered and as such
there is no legal risk.
What we offer:
Flexible program: two hours/day at your choice, daytime and evening
Work easy: checking e-mail and going to the bank Part time or full
Professional contact team with very good support and
Other highlights: no selling involved, no kit to buy,we won't charge
Monthly salary: $450 every two weeks to a total of $900 per month
Co-mmission:10%of every money order/check that is CASHED
EXAMPLE: If you receive a check of $1,000.00 your net income is
$100.00,our company supports any fees.
REMEMBER: THE MORE ORDERS YOU PROCESS- AT A FASTER RATE THE HIGHER
YOU STAND TO EARN DAILY.
What we ask:Two free hours daily not including weekends, Internet access for
sending and receiving e-mails,available means of cashing moneyorders/checks at
You must be over 21 years of age.
If you meet these conditions please contact us by replying at this
e-mail address (email@example.com) to receive a
Representative Contract agreement
HOME ADDRESS (PHYSICAL ADDRESS ONLY, NO P.O. BOXES):
PHONE NUMBER (S):
We will never ask you for anything more then that. no credit card, passwords,
ssn # etc.
If anyone asks for those on our behalf please do not give out this
This is to ensure your security and non involvement in cases of
PLEASE REPLY TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that COMPTON VERNEY reserves the right to
accept and reject any submission and is not bound,committed nor obliged.
For Compton Verney