fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "% commission" (Beware of any scheme that involves depositing checks or money orders or receiving wire transfers in your bank account and then wiring a portion of the funds somewhere, for a percentage of 5-15% of the total. Such offers are *always* fraudulent and you will be liable for the entire amount when the checks, money orders or wire transfers turn out to be fraudulent. Any money already forwarded comes out of *your* pocket then. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Eric Barber" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 13:19:41 +0100
Subject: IMMEDIATE PART-TIME JOB OFFER
Are you interested in an immediate partime job offer??..... which wouldn't affect ur present situation. Please kindly mail in ASAP
THE ASSIGNMENT:- - Responsibilities Are:
1. Recieve payments sent your way from our various customers located globally.
2. Cash Payments at your Bank
3. Deduct 10% which will be your commission/pay on each Payment processed
4. Forward the balance - after deduction of your commission/pay - to any of the Financial Control offices you will be contacted to forward such payment to.
ELIGIBILITY:-- Individuals above 19 years of age with a minimum of High School Diploma (or equivalent). Students, owners of small businesses and ventures, etc
REWARD/BENEFITS PACKAGE:-- ORION CLOTHING has an approved weekly pay of $220 for this position [paid in 30-day cycles upon first redeemed transaction] in addition to a 10% Commission for every payment processed by you on Orion Clothing's behalf. Estimated earnings could easily be in the range of about $300 - $5000 weekly. Payments are usually made to our AR Clerks by our immense array of merchants, suppliers etc.Note that this position doesnt require any personal expense - or experience - on your part whatsoever, as all expenses are chargeable to the ORION CLOTHING and its debtors. This post requires diligence and integrity. As part of our supervisory policies, the ORION CLOTHING Regional Internal Control supervisior/commissioner will reach out to you regularly.Also note that you are expected to respond to emails promptly and must be reachable on phone always.
This exciting global opportunity allows you to:
(1) Work extremely flexible and few hours and days,
(2) Make around $200.00 to $1000.00 a week, and,
(3) Earn a substantial performance-based compensation package. No prior experience is needed, you will get "On the Job" training.
EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION FORM
Home Phone #:
Cell Phone #:
Your current job:
You will be contacted as soon as we are through with coparing resumes. You will be notified if you are chosen to work for the company.
Email : email@example.com