fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "to your nominated bank account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447035964714 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- +448702887323 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "UNITED NATION" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 23:18:32 -0700
Subject: PART-PAYMENT VALUED $8.3M UNITED STATES DOLLARS
WORLD BANK GROUP AND UNITED NATION ORGANIZATION
OFFICIAL CONTRACT PAYMENT UNIT.
Our Ref: UNO /SNT/CTB
RELEASE CODE No: 0763
PART-PAYMENT VALUED $8.3M UNITED STATES DOLLARS
Our Ref: UNO /SNT/CTB
WORLD BANK GROUP AND UNITED NATION ORGANIZATION do hereby give this irrevocable approval order with Release Code: GNC/3480/02/2009 in your favor for your contract entitlement/award winning payment with the UNITED NATION to your nominated bank account. Now youre new Payment, United nation Approval No;UN5685P,White House Approved No:WH44CV, Reference No.35460021,Allocation No: 674632 Password No:339331 , Pin Code No: 55674 and your Certificate of Merit Payment No : 103 ,Released Code No: 0763; Immediate Citibank Telex confirmation No: -1114433 ;Secret Code No:XXTN013, Having received these vital payment number , therefore You are qualified now to received and confirm Your payment from the United immediately within the next 72hrs.
As a matter of fact, you are required to Deal and Communicate only with MR ANDREW WOLLEY, DIRECTOR INTERNATIONAL REMMITTANCE CITIBANK OF UNITED KINGDOM, with the help and monitory team from the CITIBANK OF NEW YORK which is our official remitting bank, Committee On Foreign Payment Matters in United Nation, has look up to make sure you receive your fund valued $8.3m. So contact: MR ANDREW WOLLEY on his contact information.
Direct Cell/mobile, +447-035-964-714 OR +447-035-970-173
Fax Number: +44 870 288 7323,
For immediate release of your contract/inheritance/Award Winning claim Be informed that you are not allowed to correspond with any person or office anymore, You are required to send bellow information for your transfer.
1) YOUR FULL NAME:
2) ADDRESS, CITY, STATE AND COUNTRY:
3) PHONE, FAX AND MOBILE:
4) COMPANY NAME (IF ANY) POSITION AND ADDRESS:
5) BANK NAME:
BANK ACCOUNT NO:
6) PROFESSION, AGE AND MARITAL STATUS:
7) COPY OF YOUR INT'L PASSPORT/DRIVERS LICENSE:
YOUR PERSONAL CONTACT/COMMUNICATIONCODE WITH CITIBANK IS (511), YOU ARE ADVICE TO SEND YOUR FULL BANKING INFORMATION TO THE CITIBANK OF LONDON INTERNATIONAL REMMITTANCE DIRECTOR HEADED BY MR ANDREW WOLLEY AND MAKE SURE YOU SPEAK WITH HIM, WITH YOUR NEW PAYMENT CODE FOR RELEASE OF YOUR PAYMENT AND SEND HIM ALL YOUR BANKING INFORMATION NOW. CONTACT CODE(511).
OFFICER: MR ANDREW WOLLEY.
POSITION: DIRECTOR, INTL, REMMITTANCE CITIBANK LONDON.
FAX NUMBER: +44 870 288 7323
DIRECT MOBILE: +447-035-964-714 OR +447-035-970-173
SIR FRANK PETERSON.
(CHAIRMAN COMMITTE ON FOREIGN CONTRACT/AWARD WINING PAYMENT UNITED NATION AND USA GOVERNMENT).