fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "cost of transfer" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "to your nominated bank account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state of america" (this email uses bad English)
- "central bank of nigeria" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "ecowas " (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +2348052227199 (Nigeria, prepaid mobile phone)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Dennis Sweat." (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:59:07 -0700
Subject: INTERNET SCAMMED VICTIMS COMPENSATION-REF/PAYMENT CODE:06654
Chief Compensation Officer
African Monetary Agency
In-collaboration with United Nations Compensation Committee
(United Nations Anti-fraud Commission)
United State Of America.
Attention:Dear Scammed Victim.
SCAMMED VICTIM/ $500.000.00 COMPENSATION- REF/PAYMENTS CODE: 06654
We are African Monetary Agency In-collaboration with United Nations Compensation Committee (USA) to pay 1000 USA,
Europe and Africa and Nigerian 419 scam victims $500.000.00 each, you are listed and approved for these payments as
one of the scammed victims to recieve $500.000.00 as compensations funds.
On this faithful recommendations, I want you to know that during the last UN meetings held at Washington D.C and New York, USA,
it was alarmed so much by the rest of the world in the meetings on the lose of funds by various foreigners to the scams artists
operating in syndicates all over the world today, in other to retain the good image of this continent, all the west African head of
states of west African countries, presidents and all members of the parliament of Ecowas states is now paying 1000 victims of
this operators $500.000.00 each as approved by USA President Barrack Obama.
Due to the corrupt and inefficient Banking systems in Africa, the payments are to be paid through USA and London Monetary Agency,
under funding assistance by the Central Bank of Nigeria and Euro Bank in London According to the number of applicants at hand,
584 beneficiaries has been paid, half of the victims are from the United States and Asia, we still have many left out to be paid the
compensations of $500.000.00 each only.
You are hereby warned not to communicate or duplicate this message to anybody for any reason for whatsoever; the US FBI secret
service is already on trace of the criminals.
Note that you will pay the (COT) Cost Of Transfer before Your Fund Transfer will be carried out Successfully.
Contact Mrs. Julie Mucia with the details Below and And ask her to give you details on how to pay the Cost of Transfer of Your fund
into your Bank Account. The cost of transfer will cost you just $450. Do not be deceived by anybody to pay morethan $450 for the
(COT) Cost of your fund transfer.
Her Name and Contact Email address is as bellow:
NAME: Mrs. Julie Mucia
For More Inquieries, Contact the Africa Compensate President with the Details Below:
Name:........Mr. Steven Onyekachi
Phone Nos#: +234 805 222 7199.
Mr.Steven Onyekachi made it all easy to get your fund to USA for easy Transfer were you wount be asked to pay Taxes And
Delivery fees but only the COT which is $450.
Please send her the following details for further processing:
Finally, make sure that you reconfirm:
1. Full Name:
2. Full Address:
6. Telephone Number:
8. Place of Residence:
9.Your Bank Details, and attach a scan copy of your Id.
You will receive your compensations payments via Bank to Bank transfer,Mrs Julie Mucia shall feed you with further modalities as soon
as you Contact her Via-Email.Make sure you Ask her to send you the details on how to pay the Cost of Transfer of your Fund to your
Nominated Bank Account.
Note that this COT fee of $450 should be paid Directly to Mrs. Julie Mucia in USA for immediate processing and transfer of your fund.
Mr. Dennis Sweat.
Chief Compensation Officer,
African Monetary Agency in Collaboration with United Nations Compensation Committee,(United Nations Anti-fraud Commission),USA.