fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- of the conference secretariat by email: email@example.com you may get back to me with my email address below: (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 17:41:27 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: GCOGP/HT&HR 2009
You are cordially invited to participate in the forth coming GLOBAL CONFERENCE ON GLOBAL PEACE / HUMAN TRAFFICKING &HUMAN RIGHT. The conference is been organized by the international Welfare organization ( IWO ) in collaboration with other NGOâs.
The event takes place from 20th â 23rd October 2009 at the American Conference Centre hall New York, U.S.A, and 27th - 30th October 2009 at savannas central HALL, DAKAR-SENEGAL, West â Africa.
If you are interested in participate and represent your country, you may contact the secretariat of the organizing committee for details and information. Below is the contact address of the conference secretariat by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You may get back to me with my email address below: email@example.com
Envie de partager vos photos de vacances ? Voila vous offre 1 Go dâespace de stockage sur http://macle.voila.fr