fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following fake company names, fake addresses, non-existent institutions/documents or other details have appeared in scams before:
- "national lottery promotion" (no such lottery exists)
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "claim agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- "claims agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "keep it confidential" (scammers urge victims to keep the transaction secret because they don't want anyone to point out to them that it is a scam)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447035900183 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
Fraud email example:
From: Sanaz Faramarzi Asli <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 08:12:05 -0800 (PST)
--- On Mon, 11/23/09, EURO MILLIONS LOTTERY <email@example.com> wrote:
From: EURO MILLIONS LOTTERY <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: Congratulations once more! !! !!! !!!!!(Your E-Mail Address Won â¬600,000:00)
Date: Monday, November 23, 2009, 2:10 PM
EURO MILLIONS INTERNATIONAL LOTTERY PROMOTION
PRIZE AWARD DEPARTMENT.
REFERENCE: EML / IPP/1555002244/05
BATCH: ES34/044/ ILP /SL
RE: WINNING NOTIFICATION / FINAL NOTICE
Â Dear Lottery Winner,
We wish to congratulate you over your email success in our computer balloting held on 23th November
2009.This is a Millennium Scientific Computer Game
in which email addresses were used. It is a promotional program aimed
at encouraging internet users; therefore you do not need to buy ticket
to enter for it. You have been approve for the star prize of â¬600,000:00 Euros. (Six Hundred ThousandÂ Euros Only).
Your =E-mail address attached to Serial Number 22221415366-609 with Lucky Star Numbers 03 44 04, Winning Number 04 05 23 25 28 which =consequently won in the 6th category, you have therefore been
approved for a = lump sum pay out of â¬600,000.00 Euros. (Six Hundred Thousand Euros Only).
DO KEEP IT CONFIDENTIAL.
This is part of our security protocol to avoid double claiming and unwarranted abuse of this program by some participants.
participants were selected through a computer ballot system drawn from
over 100,000 company and 50,000,000 individual email =addresses and
names from all over the world. This lottery was promoted and =Sponsored by Bill Gates of Microsoft ,Shell Company Nigeria, With the
support of European corporate companies and organizations to encourage the use of Internet and computers worldwide.
claim your winning prize you are to contact the appointed claim agent
as soon as possible for the immediate release of your winnings with
your VERIFICATION FORM information below:
Â Â Â
MR. JOSEPH DAKMAN
CONTACT CLAIMS AGENT ON TELEPHONE: +447035900183.
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
Remember, all winning must be claimed not later than TWO WEEKS, after this date all unclaimed funds
will be included in the next stake. Please note in order to avoid
unnecessary delays and complications please remember to quote your Reference Number and Batch Numbers in all correspondence.
Congratulations once more!! !!! !!!! !!!!!.
REMEMBER, YOU HAVE TO CONTACT YOUR CLAIM AGENT WITH YOUR VERIFICATION FORM BELOW TO ENABLE HIM PROCESS YOUR PRIZE MONEY IMMEDIATELY.Â Â Â
1.Â FULL NAMES:
5.Â MARITAL STATUS:
8.Â TELEPHONE NUMBER:
10. SERIAL NUMBER:/LUCKY STAR NUMBER
11. WINNING NUMBER:
12. REF NUMBER:
13. BATCH NUMBER:
Rev. Mark Wilson