fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "swift card payment center" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "card center will send you an atm card" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "chief auditor" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +2348079111220 (Nigeria, prepaid mobile phone)
- +23415851427 (Nigeria, landline)
- +23418793863 (Nigeria, landline)
Fraud email example:
From: "Finalpayment Consultant" (may be fake)
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 01:30:35 -0800
Subject: Very Important And Urgent Message Please Reply Immediately
Federal government of Nigeria in conjunction with
The, international card payment system committee (icpsc)
Presidential liaison unit, nations approved :
Third wing apartment's"
Cell : +234-807-911-1220
Tel : 23418793863
Fax : 234-1-5851427
Add : 5 tinubu square,
Our ref : icpsc/fgn/046/09 :
Your ref : your due payment.
Attention honorable beneficiary:
Re : immediate settlement of all due payment via
Debit / payment card:
This is to officially inform you that we have verified on
Your contract / winning file and found out that why you
Have not receive your payment is because you have not
Fulfill the obligations given to you in respect to your
Contract / inheritance winning payment.
Secondly we have been informed that you are still dealing
With the none officials in the bank, so such illegal act
Like this have to stop, if you wishes to receive your
Payment since we have decided to bring a solution to your
Problem, right now we have arranged your payment through
Our swift card payment center asia pacific.
That is the latest instruction given by our new president
Umaru yar'adua (gcfr) federal republic of Nigeria ,,,,
How about that ?
However this system was introduced to guide against
American surveillance, monitoring out going fund from
African continent and other continent, because after
Sept.11 attack on the world trade centre and the recent
Bomb blast in the United Kingdom, American government
And the united nation tend to confiscate any payment
Above 1.5 million dollars going out of Africa,
Therefore to avoid this, this method of payment
Were put in place by the Nigeria government to ensure
Beneficiary receives their payment with out any hitch.
Please if you wishes to have your payment through
Swift atm card, this card center will send you an atm
Card which you will use to withdraw your inheritance
Winning fund ($2.5 million usd only) in atm machine
In any part of the world, but your maximum withdrawal
For each day is $1000.00 (one thousand dollars) per day,
So if you like to receive your fund through this way,
Please do let us know by contacting the card payment
Center on this our
Email : (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Contact person Dr. Williams Adamu. And also send your
Phone and fax number and address were you want them to
Send the card through dhl/fedex (p.o box not accepted)
Instead of losing your fund.
Please Call me as soon as you receive this important message
on My direct number : 234-8079111220 for more direction on
this regards and also update me in any development please
Indicate to the card center the total sum you are expecting
And for your information you have to stop any further
Communication with any body or office concerning this your
Note : that because of impostors, we hereby issued you our
Code of conduct number which is (905) so you have to indicate
this code when contacting the card center.
We awaits for your immediate responds.
Dr. Williams Adamu.
Chief auditor of the federation.
Nb : please this office will transfer this atm card
Payment of yours within 48hrs as soon as we receive your
Immediate respond, thanks.