fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: " U.S.A GOVERNMENT INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUNDS" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 14:04:12 -0800
Subject: credited to file ICB/WT/00876?
Payment Notification From OCEANIC BANK PLC, United Nations
And USA Government.
UNITED NATIONS ASSISTED PROGRAM(UN)
Debt Reconciliation Department.
Chairman Committee On Foreign
Contract And Inheritance fund Payment Notification
U.S.A GOVERNMENT, INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUNDS, WORLD BANK AND UNITED
NATIONS ORGANIZATION OFFICIAL RESOLVED THE RELEASE OF YOUR FUND.
THE U.S.A GOVERNMENT, INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUNDS, WORLD BANK AND
UNITED NATIONS ORGANIZATION OFFICIAL RESOLVED THE RELEASE OF YOUR FUND
FEW DAYS AGO IN GENEVA SWITZERLAND, AND WE HAVE FINALIZED THE RELEASE
OF YOUR PAYMENT.
SINCE THE BRITISH GOVERNMENT IN CONJUNCTION WITH UNITED STATES
GOVERNMENT, WORLD BANK AND UNITED NATIONS ORGANIZATION HAS GIVEN AN
IRREVOCABLE APPROVAL ORDER WITH THIS RELEASE CODE: GNC/3480/05/09 IN
YOUR FAVOR FOR THE IMMEDIATE RELEASE OF YOUR ENTITLEMENT FUNDS TO YOU
WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT.
BELOW WHERE THE APPROVED NUMBERS;
1. UNITED NATIONS APPROVAL NO; UN5685P,
2. WHITE HOUSE APPROVED NO: WH44CV,
3. REFERENCE NO.-35460021,
4. ALLOCATION NO: 674632
5. PASSWORD NO: 339331,
6. PIN CODE NO: 55674
7. CERTIFICATE OF MERIT PAYMENT NO: 401,
8. RELEASED CODE NO: 0763;
IT IS WITH GLADNESS, I WRITE YOU THIS MESSAGE, TO CONGRATULATE YOU ON
THE SUCCESSFUL RELEASE OF THE SUM OF $2 MILLION USD TO YOU, CREDITED
TO ONLINE BANK ATM CARD ACCOUNT THAT WAS SET UP FOR YOU IN OUR BANK
THE OCEANIC BANK PLC.
BELOW IS YOUR LOGIN DETAIL;
USER ID: 773634528
THE METROPOLITAN COURIER IS UNABLE TO COMPLETE THE DELIVERY OF YOUR
ATM CARD WITH THE DETAILS WE RECEIVED FROM IMF, SO WE REQUIRE SOME
MORE INFORMATION IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THIS TRANSFER.
YOUR FULL NAMES:_____________
IN ORDER TO RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM, PLEASE EMAIL US IMMEDIATELY. AS SOON
AS THIS INFORMATION IS RECEIVED.
Mr. John Ricardo Smith
(Chairman Committee On Foreign Contract And Inheritance fund
Payment Notification from OCEANIC BANK PLC, United Nations
And USA Government.)