fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "i will like you to " (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "CONFERO INC" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 17:01:06 +0100
Subject: MYSTERY SHOPPERS REP NEEDED IN YOUR AREA - GET PAID WEEKLY ($342)
My name is Jimmy Bruce, I will like you to become our mystery shopper.
You will earn $342 by been a mystery shopper. Your employment packet include
business evaluation form, a training assignment which will be send to you
after you received payment for the assignment. Paycheck would be sent to you
for the assignment by Certified Check or money order. you are to deduct your
$342 which will be your wages, and the rest would be used for the evaluation
at the store that would be sent to you.
Your Employment packet are as follows:
1. Business evaluation form: This is the form you are required to fill after
you visit any shopping mall in your area, you would be given the store name
and address. You are required to evaluate its customer service and quality
control after their services are rendered to you. You would required to fill
a form to rate the employee(s), the form would be given to you after the
2. Training Assignment: You are hired to evaluate the quality of services of
the store or mall that would be given to you. You are needed to rate the
employees. Please note, this is a part-time activity.
If you are interested and willing to work with us, Email me the below
Preferred Time to Call:
Can you Check email at least twice Daily:
Thanks For Your Understanding.