fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +448774516934 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- number:+44 7045 13174 telefax:+44 8447742 2648 e-mail: email@example.com attention: on behalf of the united nations i mrs sarah (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Yahoo, United Kingdom; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs. Sarah Bagwell" <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 17:10:42 +0100
Subject: ALL SCAMMED VICTIMS (MESSAGE FROM THE UNITED NATIONS)
UNITED NATIONS COMPENSATION UNIT,
IN AFFILIATION WITH WORLD BANK
From: Special Envoy to
Secretary-General BAN KI-MOON
Telephone Number:+44 7045 13174
Telefax:+44 8447742 2648
On behalf of THE UNITED NATIONS I mrs Sarah Bagwell wishes to pass this message across to you.
The UNITED NATIONS in Affiliation with WORLD BANK have agreed to compensate all scammed victims from any part of the world with the average sum of USD$250,000.00 for self support depending on the amount lost in the act. This is regarding the draws organized lately to help individuals whom have lost their earnings in this act.And to build organizations so as to help the less privileged in the society.
This compensation exercise is also extended to victims of Hurricane,earthquake,War displaced and Aged.Anyone who is a victim of the above mentioned is liable to benefit from these compensation exercise.
You are therefore advised to contact BARRISTER MUSA WILLIAMS our cordinator/payment officer in THE UNITED KINGDOM,via
E-MAIL ADDRESS: firstname.lastname@example.org,
TELEPHONE: +44 8774 5169 3497
You are further advised to provide the following details and send it to the above email: full Names... telephone number.... Postal Address...Scanned copy of either your international passport,drivers licence or any form of identification for our perusal, records update and references.
I apologize on behalf of the organization for any delay you might have encountered in receiving your fund in the past.
Hope to hear from you, as soon as you get in contact with Barrister Musa Williams and successfully recieve your compensation fund.
Making the world a better place!
Signed and endorsed.
MRS SARAH BAGWELL (announcer)
Office of Secretary-
General Ban Ki-Moon.
( Financial officer )United Nations...