fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "there is no risk involved" (almost true for the criminal trying to scam you - arrests of online criminals are rare)
- "dormant account" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Independent Committee of Eminent Persons ICEP" <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 13:35:36 -0800
Subject: Re-Swiss Dormant accounts
YOUR KIND ATTENTION
My name is zvi barak an executive member of Independent Committee of Eminent Persons (ICEP), Switzerland.Reference
the website below for confirmation
ICEP is charged with the responsibility of finding bank accounts in Switzerland, belonging to non-Swiss indigenes,
which have remained dormant since World War II.
It may interest you to know that In January 13 2005,the Swiss Banker's Association published a list of dormant
accounts originally opened by non-Swiss citizens. These accounts had been dormant since the end of World War II
(May 9, 1945). Most belonged to Holocaust victims.
The continuing efforts of the Independent Committee of Eminent Persons (ICEP) have since resulted in the discovery
of additional dormant accounts -2700 in july, 2005.
The published lists contain all types of dormant accounts, including interest-bearing savings accounts,securities
accounts, safe deposit boxes, custody accounts, and non-interest-bearing transaction accounts. Numbered accounts
are also included. Interest is paid on accounts that were interest bearing
The Claims Resolution Tribunal (CRT) handles processing of all claims on accounts due non-Swiss citizens. A dormant
account of NEUMANN ECKSTEIN with a credit balance of 11,000,000 US dollar plus accumulated interest was discovered
by me. The beneficiary was murdered during the holocaust era, leaving no WILL and no possible records for trace of
heirs. The Claims Resolution Tribunal has been mandated to report all unclaimed money for permanent closure of
accounts and transfer of existing credit balance into the treasury of Switzerland government as provided by the law
for management of assets of deceased beneficiaries who died interstate (living no wills).
Many people who have full records of their relatives bank details have successfully claimed their inheritance and
paid in full. List of claimants who have been paid are listed on the website for verification.
Visit the website below to see the list of claimants who have been paid:
Being a top executive at ICEP, I have all secret details and necessary contacts for claim of the money without any
PROBLEM. The money will be banked in the Carribean Islands, being a tax free, safe haven for money and we can share
the money and use in investment of our choice.
Due to the sensitive nature of my job, I need a foreigner to HELP claim the money as the beneficiary.
All that is required is for you to provide me your details for processing of the necessary legal, and administrative
claim documents for transfer of the money to you.
Provide me with your full name, address, and telephone/fax. The money will be transferred to a secure account in
your name ,because you will be acting as the next of kin to the deceased person that can claim the money with claim
documents in your name in the United Kingdom, and you can now start accessing the money gradually and transferring
to your country and other banks of choice in the world. The banks in the UK have internet banking and telephone
banking facility with electronic wire transfer feature through the internet and also anonymous ATM debit card. All
these features mean additional security and convenience,so that you can stay in your country and access the money.
My share will be 60 percent and your share is 40 per cent of the total amount. THERE IS NO RISK INVOLVED.
You can find additional information about unclaimed money through the internet at the following websites:
The Holocaust Claims Processing Office has allocated the money for payment to the beneficiary awaiting submission of
valid claims for necessary disbursement.
I find myself priviledged to have this information and this is a great opportunity for a life time of success
Reply via this e mail account for security reasons:
Thanks once more for co-operating,