fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "urgent assistance" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a orphan scam.
Fraud email example:
From: "Lona Gassama" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 16:58:21 +1100
Subject: Warm Regards
My Name is Lona Gassama, Permit me to inform you of my desire of seeking your aid and assistance towards securing my consignment, Am placing this urgent matter to you because I want you to help me handle it with your matured knowledge, I have a Consignment that is presently in Toronto International Airport in Canada with a reliable delivery agent under United Nations.
This Consignment was suppose to be delivered to my partner Mr. Brent Grant In Canada, the agreement i made with Mr. Brent Grant was that i will give him 20% of the total $28,000,000.00 of my consignment, this was the reason why i instructed the diplomat Mr. Paul Mills to deliver my consignment to my partner Mr. Brent Grant In Canada. But to my greatest surprise when diplomat arrived in Toronto International Airport with my consignment, Mr. Brent Grant changes his mind from our initial agreement of 20% to 60% of the total amount of the consignment, I was so surprised and confused because that was not stated in our agreement.
I thought and believed that Mr. Brant Grant would take advantage on me when my consignment is finally delivered to him, So i stoped the delivery from been made to Mr. Brent Grant. like i said my Consignment is presently with Diplomat Paul Mills in the Toronto International Airport so i need your urgent assistance to help me receive this consignment from the diplomat i am willing to offer you 25% of the total $28,000,000.00. The diplomat is very ready to deliver the consignment to you as soon as possible because he called me yesterday and he told me that he has another consignment to deliver in Louisiana, The major reason why i have contacted you is for to help me receive this consignment from the diplomat before his departure to Louisiana.
I am also willing to invest 40% of the funds in your custody, because my late father warn me never to put all my eggs in one basket, long terms or short terms, this are the wise saying of my late father, this is one of the reasons why i have decided to invest this 40% of the funds with your assistance in any of the lucrative sector in your country. Please get back to me as soon as possible with the following details:
I am looking forward to your prompt advice, as soon as i hear from you i will send you the diplomat's telephone number, so that you can open up a communication with him directly in Canada and also i will give you the code that you will use to open the trunk box for inspection when the diplomat delivers the consignment to you.
+233 266 410 407