fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447045764730 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "H.H Finances" <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 08:41:42 -0800 (PST)
Subject: International Loans...We offer the best rates...
Do you find it tough to decide which International loan option can meet your financial needs and desires to the best? H.H Finance is the answer.
Loans that can bring the perfect solution to all your desires. H.H Finance Loans are especially meant for serving the all cash need.
The online H.H Finance loan approval process is simple and easy, you just need to fill up a loan application form and the amount is credited to the borrower's account within 3-4 working days depending on how fast you respond to our emails. You can receive up to $5,000.00-$400,000.00 . The repayment period of H.H Finance loans is decided by the borrower of this funds. Now you'll be able to use the cash for all your necessities, and urgencies.
Your information will be confidential and secure. We instantly process all loan applications so that you can get the money as soon as possible, when you need it. Our efficient service has earned many satisfied customers.
Many of our customers feel it convenient to come back again and again to utilize our service on the issue of loans. The staff at H.H Finance is dedicated to providing you a friendly, and positive experience, because Customer service is our number one priority!
CONTACT US NOW via Email.
Henry Howard's Financial Team
VISIT US TODAY at 78 Frithwood Lane
Elmton,Nottinghamshire S80 4LT
Copyright ©2010 H.H Finance INC UK: