fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "will come to you as a surprise" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "ATM Inc." (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 22:47:19 +0100
Subject: You Have Won !!! 26th.Jan.2010
ATM Lotto Inc.
Avda Baron De Carcer 45
This email will come to you as a surprise.Congratultions! your email have brought you an unexpected luck.You have won a free LIFE TIME INTERNATIONAL ATM MASTER CARD valued (800,000.00 Euro).Eight Hundred Thousand Euro Only,proudly sponorsed by AUTOMATED TELLER MACHINE (ATM).Most recently this foundation set up the NEW HOPE LOTTERY to give out prizes.
HOW YOU WON/SELECTION PROCESS DONE?
No tickets were sold out to enter this promo.Your email is one of the lucky emails,selected RANDOMLY via E-wheel Computer Ballot System drawn from over 200,000 companies and 300,000 individual email users,from all over the world during the ATM Online EMAIL selection Draw attached to your Lucky number:(F9800/587/20KK),as one of the 20 lucky winners,in the on going ATM lotto promotion.The aim of this promo is to encourage the use of ATM cards and to empower beneficiaries financially against the back drop of the global financial melt down affecting countries.
To process and secured the release of your ATM card you must call and email the assigned agent below.
Mr.Richard Cox of the ATM inc.(General Secretary of the Organising Committee)
Tel: +44 750 915 5189
+34 672 836 962
PROCEDURES TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE
You must email the following details to the assigned agent.
1.Fully name as in your passport or identification,
2.Mobile,telephone and fax number,Address,occupation,ticket number and country.
3.You must obtain an approved notarization release order document in your names here in Spain,which will be used to process/issue your ATM card.Call the assigned agent for guidelines.
THE PAYMENT CENTER HAS BEEN MANDATED TO ISSUE OUT THE ATM CARD IN YOUR NAMES ONCE ALL CONDITIONS ARE ABIDE AND PROVIDED BY YOU,WHICH YOU CAN USE TO WITHDRAW MONEY FROM ANY ATM MACHINE,IN ANY PART OF THE WORLD OR OPTIONAL ONCE YOU GET THE ATM CARD YOU CAN DEPOSIT THE WHOLE FUNDS INTO YOUR ACCOUNT.WARNING!! Do not tell people about your Award until your ATM card issuccessfully handed over to you to avoid disqualification that may arise from double claim.
Best of luck as you spend your good fortune and congratulations in advance.
Mrs Wanab jang
ATM Website http://www.moneymatterstome.co.uk/Interactive-workshops/ATM.htm