fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Holiday Inn Hotels Kensington Forum" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 01:49:23 +0530
Subject: Job Recruitment Reminder
97 CROMWELL ROAD
LONDON, SW7 4DN ENGLAND
We are delighted to bring to your notice in refer to the current employment vacancies in our reputable Hotel. These vacancies were created as a result of the temporary onward relocation of our foreign expatriate staffs that will go for further training, while others were sent on compulsory retirement due to there official retirement period. As a result of this, the Hotel hereby wishes to replace these vacancies with suitably qualified employees. We also require teachers that can tutor workers while on further training. Below are the vacancy and payment. Monthly salaries are paid in UK local currency (British Pounds).
PERIOD OF WORK - 4 HOURS A DAY
SHIFTING FOR NIGHT AND ADDITIONAL PAYMENTS FOR WORKERS WHO WOULD LOVE TO WORK ON SUNDAYS. BELOW ARE THE UNDERLISTED VACANCIES WITH OFFICIAL MONTHLY SALARY SCALE:
1. Washing Cars in the Hotel. ?2700
2.. Cleaner . ?2700
3. Sales Manager. ?4950
4. Entertainers. ?3500
5. Electricians/plumbers. ?2350
6. Marketing Manager. ?5200
7. Drivers. ?2900
8. Architect . ?6000
9. Computer Operators. ?5000
10. Customer Service Attendant. ?4000
11. Accountant. ?4000
12. Security Officer. ?3650
13. Deputy Manager . ?9000
14. Human Resource Manager. ?7500
15. Receptionist. ?4000
16. Medical Attendant. ?6000
17. Qualified Teacher. ?5500
18. House Keeping Attendant ?3000
19. Supervisor ? 4000
20. IT Staff- ?4000
21. Technicians/Welder ?3500
22. Network Administrator/Programmer - ?5000
23. Web Developer ?4000
24. Hotel representative ?4000
25. Chefs ?4000
26. Reservation Desk Attendant - ?5000
27. Secretary. ?4500
28. Auto CAD Engineer ? 5500
29. Nurse ? 4000
30. Assistant Human Resource Manager ? 7500
WORK PERMIT APPLICATION
For every applicant of Holiday Inn Hotel, be informed that Holiday Inn Hotel does not require any money from job applicants, only expenses that could be made during application is the compulsory UK Work Permit fee which is paid by the employee before arrival to UK in respect to the British Laws.
CONDITION OF SERVICE
* Your age must be 18 years and upward
* Generally your education must be above secondary education/High School.
* Must be reliable and trustworthy.
* Must be law-abiding and adhere strictly to the Rules and regulations guiding the operations of the Hotel
* Those seeking for higher position such as Human Resource managers, Assistant Manager e.g. must have must obtained qualification and working experiences which could be relevant to the position being Sort for.
If you wish to apply for a position among the short listed vacancies, submit your application/CV to The General Manager (Sir Alex Carvalho) via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for standard application and procedures. The hotel will shoulder the payment of visa and flight ticket of all selected employees.
For Project Manager
Holiday Inn Hotels Kensington Forum