fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "tamara colement" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 03:50:05 +0800
Subject: your reply is urgently needed.
I am Miss Tamara Colement the Accountant General of Shell Petroleum Inc (London) one of the largest Oil Companies with over 1.5 trillion capital investment Fund, nevertheless as the accountant general i handle all staff welfare accounts and i extracted 1.5% excess maximum return capital profits (EMRCP) per annual on each of the staffs capital fund. As an expert i have made over $8.5million from the staffs (EMRCP) and hereby looking For someone to trust who will stand as an investor to receive the fund as annual investment proceed from shell capital fund of 2008,for the co-operation in building a Tourist Hotel or Real estate in your country.
I am sorry if this is not in line with your business, but i need an experienced person like you to assist me to set up develop the project and assume responsibility of ownership as chairman but will be bringing in profit distribute profit monthly or annually. Your immediate reply will be highly appreciated and i shall give you more information on this project.
All confirmation Documents to back up the claims will be made available to you for payment Prior to your acceptance, I am looking forward for your reply urgently before our team of auditors arrived for the year general auditing meanwhile I have worked out the strategies and technicalities whereby the fund can be claimed by you in a bank nearest to you without any stress i will offer you 35% of the total money at the end of the transaction while I take 65%, please kindly note that we have few days left to round up this transaction.reply to (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please kindly declare your interest in this matter as soon as you receive this mail.
Note: your reply is urgently needed.
Miss Tamara Colement