fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Sandra Ibeh <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:26:02 -0800 (PST)
Subject: PERSONAL MESSAGE FROM MISS SANDRA IBEH.
I'm a deaf, I need you to help me recouver my inhenritance for mutual profits, My full name is Sandra Ibeh, Please accept my appology for sending you this mail since we have not meet nor see each other before.
Please I am sorry for any embarrasment that this letter may cause you, the truth is that I need your help, my late father deposited some fund in a local bank here with my name as the only daughter, worth of Two million seven hundred thousand dollars US$ 2.7 million.
Now that have lost my dad and I am the only one that left in the family no one to help me, I need your help so that I can transfer the money into your account in your country.
I can not handle it alone that is why I need your help. Please help me claim and transfer this money into your account so that you will help me to invest the money in a very good business since I don't have any one to stand for me and for the transfer.
I am still young I hereby seek for your sincere help in other to invest my money for my future please I want you to read this mail with free heart and try to put consideration into it for you to understand my situation for i need your help into this issue.
I am honourably seeking your assistance in the following ways:
(1) To provide a bank account into which this money would be transferred to .
(2) To serve as a guardian of this fund since I am only 19 years.
(3) To make arrangement for me to come over to your country to further my education and to secure a resident permit in your country.
I have every documentation that back up the fund all I need from you is your sincere help that's all please help me, upon your response to my mail I will direct you on the next step to follow.
Thanks for your kind consideration and God bless you..
Miss. Sandra Ibeh.