fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- This email message is a "New Partner from Paraguay" scam.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "Eng.Stanley Johnson" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 01:37:42 -0800 (PST)
Subject: CONTACT MR.CHINEDU MARTINS FOR YOUR BANK DRAFT
I am very happy to inform you about my success in getting that fund Now.
I thank you for your great effort to our unfinished transfer of fund into your account due to one reason or the other best known to you.But I want to inform you that I have successfully transferred the fund into my new partner's account in Germany, who was eventually,capable of assisting me in this great venture.Due to your effort,sincerity,courage and trust worthiness You showed during the course of the transaction.I want to compensate you and show my gratitude to you with the sum of £950,000.00
I have left a certified international bank draft for you worth of £950,000.00. Contact My Secretary for Your Bank Draft,on the information below
CONTACT NAME: Mr. Chinedu Martins
TELEPHONE: +229 9815 7626.
ask him to send you the total sum of £950,000.00 international bank draft cashable everywhere in the world for your compensation. Please do contact him with this email(email@example.com).
However I am leaving to Germany. for investment purposes.
Pan African Mortgage and Finance