fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following fake company names, fake addresses, non-existent institutions/documents or other details have appeared in scams before:
- "2010 promotional draw" (no such lottery exists)
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447031826536 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "GLOBAL LOTTERY" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 17:02:49 +0800
BRITISH-CANADIAN-ASIAN LOTTERY BCA-35,
Foster Drive, Suite 800, Sault Ste.
Marie, Ontario, P6A 6V2, Canada.
Winning No: 08 12 16 33 36 42
Bonus No: 07
Confirm Winning: http://www.canada.com/life/lotteries/lottery_results.html
Ref No: IMP/73253CA/2010
Batch No: 642376/CA/2010.
BRITISH CANADIAN ASIAN LOTTERY 2010 NEW YEAR PROMOTION.
The Canadian Government in collaboration with the British Government and the World Gaming Board are the sponsors of this online email lottery for compensation and grant for both past lottery winners and the entire world public for purpose of Infrastructural development as an online compensation for all internet users.
We happily announce to you the draw of the Special Global 2010 Promotional Draw held on the Saturday February 27, 2010 in Manchester in the United Kingdom and Ontario Canada. Your e-mail address attached to REF No; IMP/73253CA/2009, with Batch No: 642376/CA/2009 drew the Winning No: 08 12 16 33 36 42, Bonus No: 07 for BC-49 Lotto under the choice of the lottery in the 1st category of bi-weekly six.
All participants were selected randomly from World Wide Web site through computer draws system and extracted from over 10,000,000 companies and personal e-mails. So your email is your online automatic ticket that qualified you for this draw. You have therefore been approved to claim a total sum of £1,263,584.00 Pounds Sterling (One Million Two Hundred and Sixty Three Thousand Five Hundred and Eighty Four Pounds Sterling)
In view of this, your £1,263,584.00 Pounds Sterling (One Million Two Hundred and Sixty Three Thousand Five Hundred and Eighty Four Pounds Sterling) would be released to you by following the directives of the courier company. Our London- UK courier will immediately commence the processing of your payment to facilitate the release of your funds as soon as you contact the office. So you are required to forward the following details to our trusted courier company to help facilitate the processing of your claims:
You are to contact the WESTERN STATE BANK for payment with details below via:
Tel: +44 7031826536
or visit our website:www.westernstatebank.com
FILL PAYMENT PROCESSING FORM BELOW:
1. FULL NAMES: ________
2. ADDRESS: __________
3. AGE AND SEX: ________
4. MARITAL STATUS: _____
5. OCCUPATION: ________
6. E-MAIL ADDRESS: ______
7. TELEPHONE NUMBER: _____________________
8. YOUR WINNING AND BONUS NUMBERS: __________
9. BATCH NUMBER AS LISTED ABOVE: ______________
10. AMOUNT WON: ________
11. COUNTRY: ___________
So we can proceed with the transfer as soon as possible.
Important Notice:Winners are advised to keep their winning details/information from the public to avoid fraudulent claim .
Western State Bank will not be responsible for lost and wrong claim of prize.
Congratulation!! once again
Lottery Controller General