fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "security keeping fee" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "cotonou" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a "New Partner from Paraguay" scam.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr.Chieme Baar." (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 13:39:55 +0100
Subject: CONTACT FEXDE EXPRESS COURIER COMPANY.
CONTACT FEXDE EXPRESS COURIER COMPANY.
My Dear Friend.
Good day, How are you today? I am writing to inform you that I went to the bank to confirm if the Draft has expired or getting near to expire and Mr.Ezenna Zafa the Director of Financial Trust Bank told me that before the Draft will get to your hand that it will expire.So I told him to cash the ($1.6m usd) to cash payment to avoid losting this funds.However, all the necessary arrangement of delivering the ($1.6m usd) in cash was made with FEXDE EXPRESS COURIER COMPANY here in Cotonou Benin Republic,
Mr.Ezenna Zafa the Director of Financial Trust Bank Cotonou have to package the sum of ($1.6m usd) in cash for me. Then he also agreed to help me to Register the Consignment with FEXDE EXPRESS COURIER COMPANY. Infact I thank God very much for all the movement I made, every thing goes normally.
As for our agreement with the FEXDE EXPRESS COURIER COMPANY. they promised that your consignment will leave this Country this week.I have paid for the delivering charges and insurance fee.only money you will pay them is security keeping fee which they stated that i will not pay for it because the keeping fee is $35 dollars per a day,And i deposited it yesterday been 22th MARCH 2010.And i did not contact you yesterday due to low connection,so that is why i did not pay for keeping fee,so i want you to contact them urgent to avoid increase of their keeping fee.
Your Consignment is already with them, the Consignment was packaged in a way that the courier company will not open it untill you receiver it according to them it will only take them 2 days to deliver the Consignment box to your door step,
Below is the Courier Company contact address:
CONTACT .MR WALE SEXTON,
Phone +229 9850 5116
Note.The courier company don't know the contents of the Box. I registered it as a BOX of an Africa cloths. They don't know it contents money. this is to avoid them delaying with the BOX. don't let them know that is money that is in that Box.
This are the information needed for easy delivery of your parcel
1.YOUR FULL NAME_____
2.YOUR HOME ADDRESS______
3. YOUR PHONE ____
5.ATTACH COPY OF YOUR ID.
So as soon as you recieved your parcel do let me know ok,