fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "dear beneficiary," (this SPAM email was probably sent to thousands of people)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Dr. Aliboh Eboh" (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 18:22:59 +0100
Subject: YOUR OUTSTANDING PAYMENTS CLAIMS: VERY URGENT
UNION BANK NIG. PLC
INTERNATIONAL FUND CO-ORDINATOR OFFICER
RESPONSE TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS FOR SECURITY REASONS
REF - YOUR OUTSTANDING FUND PAYMENT
Good day , this is to inform you of your Long overdue Payment outstanding in our Banking records over here . This department founds your name in the Central Computer / Federal Ministry of Finance among list of unpaid inheritance / Contractors claims individuals and have to update your information by contacting you through this email for your immediate confirmation response back to my office without delay. The value capital fund amount of $8.800,000.00 USD (Eight Million Eight Hundred Thousand dollars only) is to your favor listed name for immediate payment.
However we received an email from one Mr. Morrison Thompson, who told us that he is your next of kin and that you died in a car accident last four months back. He has also submitted his account informations to the office department for transfer of the fund payment credit to him as your inheritor of the fund stated herein.
We are now verifying by contacting your email address as we have in our Bank records before we can make the transfer into his account and for us to conclude confirmation if you are dead or still alive.
Please , if still alive , do urgently sending email confirmation by filling in form details below thus as signification you are alive and willingly to receiving your funds payment.
FORM FILLING SIGNIFICATION CONFIRMING YOU ARE ALIVE;
1. Your Name in Full======
2. Your Address (Current Address) =======
3. Your Telephone Number (Cell / Home Phone) ======
4. Your Occupation & Position Held ===========
5. Your Age & Marital Status=================
Name of your Bank ============
Address of your Bank =========
Youre Account Number ==========
Swift/ Routing Code ===========
Youre Bank Telephone ===========
We sincerely apologies for all your past incontinences delayed in paying your fund to your account.
PLEASE, RESPONSE OUR EMAIL POST ADDRESS
FOR SECURITY REASONS -; firstname.lastname@example.org
International Fund Coordinator Payment Officer
Union Bank Nig. Plc