fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 17:14:12 -0000
Subject: Partnership from Middle East

Dear Sir/madam,

My name is Sergeant Ryan Green, I am an American soldier, I am serving in the military of the 1st Armoured Division in Iraq, as you know we are being attacked by insurgents everyday and
car bombs. We managed to move funds belonging to Saddam Hussein’s family.

The total amount is US$25 Million dollars in cash, mostly 100 dollar bills. We want to move this money to you, so that you may invest it for us and keep our share for banking. You can go to
this web link to read about events that took place there: We will take 70%, my partner and I. You take the other 30%. No strings attached,
just help us move it out of Iraq, Iraq is a war zone.

We plan on using diplomatic courier and shipping the money out in one large silver box, using diplomatic immunity. If you are interested I will send you the full details, my job is to find a good
partner that we can trust and that will assist us.

Can I trust you? When you receive this mail, kindly send me an e-mail signifying your interest.

This business is risk free. The box can be shipped out in 48hrs if you will be ready to assist us, you can reply to my email address for further details.

Yours faithfully,
Sergeant Ryan Green.

Anti-fraud resources: