fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "u.k " (this email uses bad English)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447045724625 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs Susan Derrick." (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 06:51:12 +1000
Subject: U.K ALLOCATION BOARD ORGANISATION
I am Mrs Susan Derrick, I am a US citizen, 48 years Old. I reside here in New
Braunfels Texas. My residential address is as follows.108 Crockett Court. Apt
303, New Braunfels Texas, United States, am thinking of relocating since I am
now rich. I am one of those that took part in the Compensation in U.K LONDON
years ago and they refused to pay me, I had paid over $20,000 while in the US,
trying to get my payment all to no avail.
So I decided to travel down to U.K LONDON with all my compensation documents,
I was directed to meet Barrister Scott Daniel, who is the member of
COMPENSATION AWARD COMMITTEE, and I contacted him and he explained everything
to me. He said whoever is contacting us through emails are fake. He took me to
the paying bank for the claim of my Compensation payment. Right now I am the
most happiest woman on earth because I have received my compensation funds of
$1,500,000.00 Moreover, Barrister Scott Daniel showed me the full information
of those that are yet to receive their payments and I saw your name as one of
the beneficiaries, and your email address, that is why I decided to email you
to stop dealing with those people, they are not with your fund, they are only
making money out of you.. I will advise you to contact Barrister Scott Daniel.
You have to contact him directly on this information below.
JOAKIN COMPENSATION HOUSE
Name : Barrister Scott Daniel
Phone: +44 70457 24625
You really have to stop dealing with those people that are contacting you and
telling you that your fund is with them, it is not in anyway with them, they
are only taking advantage of you and they will dry you up until you have
nothing.The only money I paid after I met Barrister Scott Daniel was just
120Great Britain Pounds
for the paper works, take note of that.
As soon as you contact him he will send you the payment information which you
are to use in sending the payment to him in order for him to obtain the
document from the court of law there in UK. LONDON so that your fund can be
transfer to you without any delay just the way mine was being transfer to me.
Send him the following details if you know you are ready to make the payment so
that as soon as he receive your information he will send to you the payment
details for sending him the 120Great Britain Pounds that is needed for him to
get the document
that is needed to make the transfer a successful one without any further
Fill Out the information to him if you are ready to get your fund and also
ready to make the payment.
Your Full Name:...............
Once again stop contacting those people, I will advise you to contact
Barrister Scott Daniel so that he can help you to Deliver your fund instead of
dealing with those liars that will be turning you around asking for different
kind of money to complete your transaction.
Thank You and Be Blessed.
Mrs Susan Derrick.
108 Crockett Court. Apt 303,
New Braunfels Texas, United States.