fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear sir/madam" (a standard Nigerian greeting phrase)
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Jalal Uddin <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 08:24:33 +0000 (GMT)
I Mr Jalal Uddin , an investor and a business merchant, CEO of Weiqiao Textile Company Limited,am seeking for your co-operation and devotion in building a company and Real Estate in your country. I apologize for any inconveniences if this is not your field of profession.How ever,I need an experienced personal to assist me to set up this project successfully.
I estimated the sum of $ 91,350,000.00 Million US Dollars for this project, which I will transfer as soon as possible immediately our discussion is positive and sealed. On the resumption of this project, you will be a member of the governing board as Director of works and project Management. You will also be entitled to a share percentage of 15% and more other benefits as we advance further, while 85% stands for the company. Your immediate reply will be highly appreciated and I shall give you more detailed information concerning this project.
Please if you have any interest for this project; correspond to my office via my email.
Yours sincerely ,