fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: Ben Lucas <>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 03:17:07 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: BE MY TRUST

Please allow me to introduce myself as we have never met before neither have we had any dealings in the past but for no reason I have picked your email address among others I saw while browsing the internet with hope that you will be ineterested and capable of this task.

I am Ben Lucas, A merchant in the Middle East. But based in Ireland I have been diagnosed with Cancer which was discovered very late, due to my laxity in caring for my health. It has defiled all forms of medicine, Right now I have only about a few months to live,according to my Medical Doctor.

I have not particularly lived my life so well, as I never really cared for myself but the oil business. Though I was very rich, I was never generous, I only focused on my business as that was the only thing I cared for. But now I regret all this as I now know that there is more to life than just wanting to have or make all the money in the world.

I believe when God gives me a second chance and heal me I would live my life a different way from how I have lived it. I have sowed a seed for my healing I have willed and given most of my properties and assets to my immediate and extended family members and as well as a few close friends.

I want God to be merciful to me and accept my soul and so, I have decided to give arms to charity organizations and give succor and comfort to the less privileged of the Tsunami Victims and the Hurricane Katrina in USA, as I want this to be one of the last good deeds I do on earth. So far, I have distributed money to some charity organizations in India and Malaysia. Now that my health has deteriorated so badly, I cannot do this myself anymore.I once asked members of my family to close one of my accounts in Saudi Bank and distribute the money which I have there to charity organization and to the less privileged in Bulgaria and Sudan-Africa they cashed the money but kept it only to them. Hence, I do not trust them anymore, as they seem not to be contended with what I have left for them already.

I have some funds left in the Vault of a security house for safe keeping which my family knows of. I want you to collect this deposit on my behalf and disburse half. Please send me a mail to indicate your wiliness to assist in this disbursement.For your willingness and readiness to act accordingly, I will set aside 40% for you for your time and efforts in caring out this responsibility on my behalf while, the remaining 60% will be used by you for both charity work and setting up of an investment that is profit oriented to enable you continue to assist the less privileged

from time to time from the profit you make from this investment annually.I need your urgent reply so that I will not have to go on sourcing for a credible person to handle this project.

I am quite aware that there are many who will like to take advantage of me if they learn of my situation, that’s why I think it best making the first approach through the internet and if we are able to have a good foundation of trust and responsibility I will move forward with you without looking back.

I look forward to hear from you soon. PLEASE I WILL APPRECIATE THAT YOU REPLY THROUGH



God bless you.

Mr.Ben Lucas

Anti-fraud resources: