fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "loan amount" (Beware of fake loan offers. Real lenders would not normally use free webmail addresses such as Yahoo, nor would they lend to individuals or small businesses in a different country from where they are based. Beware of mobile phones or redirector numbers!)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Prosper Loan House" <firstname.lastname@example.org> (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 09:35:53 -0000 (UTC)
Attn; Valued Customer
I have just some few financial assessment questions for you:
Do you wish to pay off debts?
Do you wish to expand your current business.
Do you wish to establish your own business?
Do you need finance for many uses?
What would you like to obtain finance for?
To set up a new business?
To pay off debts?
To be equipped financially?
What ever it is as long as it is not illegal, you can get the funds you
seek at an APR of 2%.The loan terms are very flexible and loans are easily
approved. You have the opportunity of choosing a suitable repayment plan
to keep you monthly repayment at its best.
Do you need finance in one way or another?
Have the banks told you you're not qualified to get a loan?
Do you have poor credit? Bad Finance History?
Do you seek business or personal loans?
You can borrow anything up to US$2M US Dollars (Funds Can Be in Other
Accept an affordable interest rate of 2% Choose between 1 and 14 Years to
repay. Get both Secured and Unsecured business and personal loans. Get the
loan just on your signature.Have the loan processed just as you want it.
Fast and Urgent loans can be provided. This is exciting news for both of
us! Prosper Loan Company is licensed in all 50 states, so we will be able
to provide you, your friends and family with the same expert service no
matter which state the property is in.If yes then apply for a loan today
with Prosper Loan Company. Interested customers are expected to
with the following;
YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATIONS
Your marital status:_________________
Current Status at place of work:____________
Loan Amount Needed:______________
Purpose of Loan:_____________
We wish to assist you with a loan in the nearest feature.
Mr Prosper Brisbane
Prosper Loan House