fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "DR.MARIA JOSE MUYOR" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 01:25:21 +0200
Subject: PLEASE CALL DR.PAULY ULRICH +34-672-982-581
PLEASE CALL DR.PAULY ULRICH +34-672-982-581 FOR YOUR WINNING
This is to notify you that this e-mail address was entered during the
Paypal European selection Draw and has won the sum of One Million
Seven Hundred thousand dollarsonly(USD$1.700.000) For claimplease
contact the below company for immediate process of your claim; Rememebr
to quote these numbers below for verification by the company.
REF: PP-21180-ES and BATCH:PP-245-44 you should include Your
Name, Address, Sex, Age, Occupation,Nationality, Phone Number
DR.PAUL ULRICH (Claim Director)
Company:NATIONAL TRUST AGENCY ESPANA
Dr.Maria Jose Muyor
Paypal Europe Coordinator