fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447031857150 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Yahoo, United Kingdom; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Miss.Kate Brown" (may be fake)
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 15:37:42 +0400
Subject: FROM MISS KATE BROWN LONDON
My name is Miss Kate Brown , the Assistance sales manager of Blue Nile Inc. London. My company needs a raw material which we use for the manufacturing of medicated glasses, Diamond and golden Jewelries by name DIAMOND MIXTURE.
DIAMOND MIXTURE is our major raw material, we buy a gram of Diamond Mixture $780 from dealers in London, recently I discovered a supplier in Middle East that offered me a gram $360 and quality is the same, I offered my company $500 per gram and they are very happy to buy 5kg.
My personal profit in 5kg is $700.000.00 (Seven hundred thousand US Dollars).I am contacting you because my manager will be traveling to UAE for the purchase in few days time.
1, You will act as the middle marketer between the main UAE Dealers of this product and our company here in London in the sense that you will buy this product from the main dealers at the rate of US$360/per gram and sell to our company at the rate of US$500/per grams after I might have introduced you to our company as the main dealer, and also given you the main dealer's contact in Middle East for you to contact them to know the availability of the product in their stock.
You will met our purchasing manager on arrival to Middle East, show him your office to convince him you are the dealer, take him back to his hotel, go and purchase from the main dealer, bring the product to his hotel, collect cash from him, finish. You extract our profit and take your money back to where you bring it. Its a day transaction.
My Company is presently running out of stock of this product. If you are interested and promise your honesty in this business please do get in touch with me so that we can reach into an agreement on how to share this $700.000.00 (Seven hundred thousand US Dollars) profit.
I only want you to assure me that you will be honest with me, and also keep this business secret between both of us, so that our company will not realize that I connived with you to inflate the price of the product for my own interest because if they do, as I say, I will loss my job and also my career will be jeopardized. I will tell you more things about this business if I find you are interested to do the business and I will also guide you to the success of it.