fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447045709683 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- +447006079615 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. John Kennedy" <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 21:47:03 +0400 (MSD)
Subject: Deal Or No Deal?
The Scottish Investment Trust PLC
6 Albyn Place
Edinburgh EH2 4NL,
United Kingdom .
I am Mr. John Kennedy, the Fund Manager of Scottish Investment
International. The World Largest Fund Management Company with over
?1.2Trillion Capital Investment Fund.
Nevertheless, as The Scottish Fund Manager, I handle all our Investor's
Direct Capital Funds. As a routine, every investor gets the percentage
profit or dividend from the total cash he or she invested into the company
annually. Last year it was announced that the profit margin was 20% after
calculating carefully I found out that the profit margin was 21.1% that is
an excess of 1.2% on each investor so I secretly extracted 1.2% Excess
Maximum Return Capital Profit (EMRCP) per annum on each of the Investor's
Marginal Capital Fund. As an expert, I have made over ?45, 745, 000. 00
from the Investor's EMRCP and hereby looking for someone to trust who will
stand as an Investor to receive the fund as Annual Investment Proceeds
from Scottish Marginal Capital Fund.
All confirmable documents to back up the claims will be made available to
you prior to your acceptance.
Meanwhile, I have worked out the modalities and technicalities whereby the
funds can be claimed in any of our 6 Clearing Houses without any hitches.
Our sharing ratio will be 60 40. If you are interested, you should send
your direct phone number so we could discuss more on phone as regard the
Please do get back to me through my mobile number +44 704 570 9683
Mr. John Kennedy
Fax: + 44-7006-079-615
Fund Manager Scottish Investment Trust Plc