fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "u.k " (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447045791193 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Capital Management Group" <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 16:17:09 +0100
Subject: Business Loan !
We organize Business Loans and Working Capital at 2% interest rate for businesses, with start-up and
expansion projects from $2 Million up to $25 Million and more within US and
International Projects. Capital Management Group (CMG) is a California licensed
lender/broker for financing small to medium businesses. CMG provides a full range of
financing services to US and International business clients that include
defining/improving business models, creating/redoing investment grade business plans,
presenting the investment proposal to a screened list of lenders/investors, and obtaining
approval/disbursement of funds from SBA, US and international banks and private investors.
In addition, CMG has been selected by the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC),
a US Government/United Kingdom agency, to serve as a loan originator in the
Enterprise Development Network. OPIC is an independent U.S./ U.K agency whose mission
is to mobilize and facilitate the participation of U.S. private capital and skills
in the economic and social development of less developed countries and area, and countries in
transition from nonmarket to market economies. CMG can assist in the arrangement of UK business
capital ($2 Million to $250 Million), as well as political risk insurance for eligible US/UK
business based projects in the emerging markets and developing countries (150 countries). CMG
facilitates the financing process for its business clients by organizing:
(1) Capital for US/UK businesses interested in investing in overseas operations as a partner or investor.
(2) US/UK Government-backed political risk insurance to mitigate risks to US/UK equity/debt investments.
(3) International business introduction to US/UK investors.
If interested contact us with the following.
Dr. Robert Clayton
CMG Capital Management Group
Find the home of your dreams with eircom net property
Sign up for email alerts now http://www.eircom.net/propertyalerts