fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "utmost confidentiality" (scammers urge victims to keep the transaction secret because they don't want anyone to point out to them that it is a scam)
- "god fearing " (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Maria Charity" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 09:38:17 +0200
Subject: FUNDS FOR GOD WORK
Greetings in the name of God,
May the blessings of God be upon you and grant you the wisdom to understand this situation and how much I need your help. I am suffering from a longtime cancer of the breast which also affected my brain, from all indication my conditions is really deteriorating, according to my doctors the cancer stage has gotten to a very bad stage.
I know this message will sounds very strange to you, but I have no choice than to choose a stranger like you I have never seen before.what matters will be the trust.such is life some time in life things works in a way we never expected. If we can understand our self and work like one family.This money came as a result of a payback contract deal between my husband and a Russian firm in our country.The Russian partners returned my husbands
I will like to assure you that this transaction is 100% risk and trouble free to both parties.My name is Mrs. Maria.due to my complicated health issues (CANCER). Based on this, I want to will my money($US 10,300,000.00 million) to a faithful and God fearing person who would utilize it as I will instruct hence I contact you because,The funds will be used to assist charity organizations,the orphanage homes.I have decided to Will/Donate the sum of 10,300,000.00 (Ten Million three hundred thousand Dollars) to charities through you for the good work of the Lord, and to help the motherless,lessprivileged and also for the assistance of the widows You may be wondering why I chosen you.But someone has to be chosen.I will wait to hear from you if you can handle this task with honesty. God bless you. i want you to help me carry out the charity work to the motherless,lessprivileged and also for the assistance of the widows in the World.
I decided that 30% of this money should be taken by you from the total sum upon the success release of this fund.I will appreciate your utmost confidentiality in this matter until the task is accomplished,as I don't want anything that will jeopardize my last wish,
God bless you and your family.
PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR FULL NAME, ADDRESS, TELEPHONE/FAX NUMBER ON YOUR REPLY FOR EASY AND IMMEDIATE COMMUNICATION WITH MY CONSULTANT.Reply me via this email For further inquiries contact me through my private email address :firstname.lastname@example.org