fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Sadiq" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 16:10:33 -0600
Subject: URGENT TRANSFER.
Attn: The President/C.E.O
From: Dr. Hammed Al Basiq
Director, Tenders Board
Ministry of oil
Oil Exploration Company.
Oil complex building
Box: 5694 Baghdad , Iraq .
RE: CLIAM OF FLOATING CONTRACT FUND.
Oil Exploration Company (OEC-Iraq) is the National State Company responsible for all oil and gas exploration activities in Iraq , and is one of the petroleum service companies of the Iraqi Ministry of Oil.
I have the Courage, trust and confidence to contact you upon my Bosss instruction to seek for a Reputable and Reliable Established international Businessman or Contractor who can stand in as the Sub Contractor and Claim the Floating Contract Fund from the Oil Exploration Company of Iraq as have been Resolved by the Iraqi Government, UN and The Coalition Authority in Iraq :.
During the War, a lot of Infrastructures were demolished and after the War the US, EU, UN and The Coalition Authority In Iraq, Resolved to award Contracts on the rehabilitation of those demolished offices and Oil/Gas pipelines, to US, EU, and Japanese International Contractors, Engineering and Construction Companies hence the active countries in the terrorism war.
These Contracts have been paid for but it reflects as un-vouched payments on their various files. The Floating Contract sum is to the tune of US$37.2Million (Thirty -Seven Million, Two Hundred Thousand United States Dollars). Though your Business/Trade does not matter here once you are established. We will start the transfer with US$ 7,200,000.00(Seven Million, Two Hundred Thousand United Dollars) after which we will move the remaining US$ 30,000,000.00
(Thirty Million United States Dollars).
I will plead with you to come in as a Foreigner to stand in as the sub contractor to this Contract funds, I have all original Agreements with the OEC and Government of Iraq on this contracts from bidding to execution, so there is no risk to this effect whatsoever. You are in safe hands.
I will upon your urgent response give you better information on this matter.
May Almighty Allah guide and protect you. I am currently in the United Kingdom on a Foreign Mission for the Government of Iraq and can be reached on through my pvt mail address;
Dr.Hammed Al Sadiq.