fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 15:47:53 +0700
Subject: APPLY FOR WORLD BANK GRANT
THE GNC FOUNDATION HAS RECEIVED FINANCING FROM HE WORLD BANK AND THE UNITED
NATION CHILDREN FUNDS (UNICEF) TOWARDS THE COST OF ASSISTING LESS
PRIVILEGED, HOPELESS CHILDREN AND VULNERABLE ADULT CARE IN EARLY CHILD
NUTRITION AND FIHHTING THE AID/HIV SCOURGE IN THE SOCIETY.
AND INTENDS TO APPLY PART OF THE PROCEEDS FOR CHARITY PURPOSES.
The objective of the foundation is:
1 To carry out detail survey on such orphanage homes and institutions where
these catigories of persons are taken care of.
2. To identity Their financial,material and Technical needs
3. To funds such endeavors through financial and human resources.
The GNC FOUNDATION on behalf of UNESCO, UNICEF,WORLD BANK and our board of
Directors now invites eligible individuals and coporate bodies to submit an
expression of interest to partner with us.
Your duty is to help us identify a needy home near you. Tell us their most
immediate and pressing needs.
We shall send to you the sum of USD850,000.00 (Eight hundred and fifty
Thousand United state Dollars only) of which your remuneration shall be 30%
of total funds only.
Now contact my secretary in our London office,
Her contact is:
Name: Mrs. Jane Okeke Thomas.
Email Address:<email@example.com> or
Please do let me know immediately you receive it so that we
can share the joy after all the suffering at that time. In
the moment, I am very busy here because of the investment
projects which me and the new partner I am having hand.
Finally, remember that I had forwarded instruction to my
secretary on your behalf to receive that money, so feel free
to get in touch with Mrs. Jane Okeke Thomas and she will
send the amount to you without any delay.
I beg you in the name of the most high to use at least 50%
of the proceed to put smile on the faces of the less
privileged especially during this festive season.
This is my utmost wish for this grant.
With best regards.
Gordon Atkin (QUEEN COUNSEL) UK
PLEASE SEE OUR CONTRIBUTIONS:
RAINBOW PUSH COALITION CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
SF HEALING CIRCLE MEMBER
YOUTH EMPOWERMENT FUNDING ADVISORY FUNDING MEMBER
VIOLENCE PREVENTION NETWORK STEERING COMMITTEE
BAYVIEW CHAPTER CAMPAIGN TO END DEATH PENALTY
REVEREND TED FRAZIER PRISON MINISTRIES DONORS
ACTIVE MEMBER OF IRON CAGE,SOUTH BAY ACTIVISTS ,MECHA
ACTION-LA, FRIENDS 4 INMATES EVERYWHERE AND KUSINICKS
UNISEF EARLY CHILD NUTRITION CONTRIBUTING DONORS.