fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "a security company " (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you will take 25%" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "urgent assistance" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "diplomatic courier" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
Subject: Dear One,
I know this mail may come to you as strange but I had to contact you now for your possible urgent assistance please regard my request with consideration.
My name is Safia Feddag, and I am an Algerian nationality ,and under the serving of Mr Nizar Hamdoon . I have been His personal house maid in charge of His family estate,His home private business and also his business errand maid. My master was very nice to me because he took me as a close daughter all this years I was with him.
Mr Nizar, had occupied several important office in the country and foreign. He was in 1993 to 1998,the Ambassador of Iraq to the United State , New York .
Mr Nizar, died of a chronic heart attack in New York Center Commemorative of Cancer Sloan-Kettering.My Master sometime before His death ask me to deposit in a Security Company firm a private Box of Trunk.my master has stock this safe lock Box with($11,500,0000) US dollars.My master had asked me to deposit this Box which was coded as family valuables,and precious art work in my name to avoid Him having problem with His Goverment in a private security firm here in Iraq , before the America led war. Briefly before the war my Master asked me to contact the company immediately in order to make leave of the Box from the country because this sum was intended for project abroad, He had wished to build a portable hotel in Saudi Arabia once he comes back from hospital treatment in the US.
The Security firm notify me that they were taking every goods deposits in their costudy to their associate firm in africa precisely Cote d'Ivoire also called Ivory Coast, as they were closing up because of the foreseen US war threat.It was accepted by my master following the fact that I have knowledge of africa been my place of origin and is where i am now.I want you to know that the Security firm has no knowledge of the real content of the Trunk Box.It was register as family valuables and precious art work.
I am contacting you because I need your urgent assistance to help me cliam this box from the company as my partner to your country and thereafter help me to leave this country over to your country. I do really need your help I am tired of the life here in Ivory Coast.This Box treasure is not know to any of the family members of my Master.
Is for this reason that I took this decision to take advantage of the fund that was deposited in my name and live a free life away from Ivory Coast.
I want you to help me with all your heart knowing that the help you may render today will not be lost,you will take 25% of the fund first for your assistance before any possible relationship.I have all the documents of the Box. I will like to know you more by sending to me your contact information. I want you to know that the firm has a Diplomatic courier Service and giving them a sure address they will deliver you the package to your desire destination. If I do hear from you I will forward to you the whole details and contact of the security company
for more information contact my