fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: "Mrs Siti Rafiad." <>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 20:45:27 +0100

Hercules C-130 passengers REMEMBER THIS DATE.

It was like yesterday when I received a phone call which changed me to be who I am today. It was all here in <>.

My father's best friends who survived Mayor Dedi Fachrudin did his exclusive interview in ElShinta Radio jakarta. My father DID NOT SURVIVE the crash. He was on Hercules C -130 after meeting with his fellow church workers and visiting my God Parents family in East Java. The three of them have been activist in Bethel Church in Surabaya, East java, Indonesia.

After that disaster, Mother took a deep toll after this event. She lost all her life.

I just finished high school then. I was at Rafless Girls' School Singapore smiling at my O level certificate with my fellow schoolmates. Then I went home to make a phone call. Even before I dialed her private hand phone number, my phone rang. The news of my father hit me hard.

I went home on the next available flight. I stopped all my dreams of becoming an established doctor and settled down in my hometown with my mom and my 3 siblings. We started a fresh day with only IDR 7 million in BCA ATM card in my mom's accounts and another IDR 18 million in my parents' joint account in BCA.

I was only 16 then....I am the first born of 4 children in the family who managed the money and the family as Father and Oldest Child.

I focused on my mother's emotional condition. I worked day and night to get my career today and give life to my siblings to become what they are today. She had been to the best doctors in the world. But even until her last days, she is no longer the strong woman I knew before. I am just very thankful she died peacefully in her sleep.

On May 2010, I received a call. An unexpected voice I have been longing to hear. My God Mother from Surabaya called me. She received 3 letters in my father's name from BCA Surabaya addressed Ahmad Yani Street Surabaya. It wrote as URGENT, CLASSIFIED. I managed to get the phone numbers and dialed it immediately. I got through with the operator at 021- 108 and got through BCA hotline officers with the details my God Mother scanned to me to my email.

They informed me about my father's deposit in the bank. A next of Kin has to claim the fund in less than 2 weeks or they will have to forfeited the US $ 35 million ( Thirty five million United States Dollars). I cannot claim the fund because my father never put any name as the Next of kin.

My father dropped a message about the deposit to the bank. HE WANTED THIS DEPOSIT TO BE TRANSFERRED TO AN ACCOUNT OUTSIDE INDONESIA. I cannot claim this fund without YOUR HELP in the next 2 weeks.

If you are willing to assist in this transaction, your share of the sum will be 40% of the US $ 35 million. The other 60% is for me, the bank and government officials involved here.

I would be more than pleased if you indicate your interest by indicating your confidential private phone number/s in your positive response. I will proceed to furnish you with detailed information on the procedures and means on how the funds would be transferred or made available to you.

I don't wish any harm on you. I am proposing a business deal. 100 % risk free and legal business deal with the assistance of my God Parents who happened to be the senior government officials in Surabaya. I will reveal my complete identity upon receiving YOUR POSITIVE RESPONSE. AND IF YOU REALLY WANT TO HELP IN THIS TRANSACTION, SEND ME EMAIL TO MY PRIVATE EMAIL ADDRESS

Mrs Siti Rafiad.

Anti-fraud resources: