fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: Dr Syed Abdulrahman <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 05:10:01 +0800
Subject: EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
GOLDEN EQUIPMENT COMPANIES
Floor 8, Wisma Tani, Jalan Sultan Salahuddin
50628 Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Golden Equipment Company has in recent days, embarked on several constructions in Sarawak , Malaysia and beyond. Due to the company's sincerity, fidelity and efficiency, success has always been the order of each assignment,
Our fields of specialization include the following.
Bridge Construction, Building of Skyscrapers , Marine Construction, Building of Estates ,
Digital Animations, Sales & Supply of Equipment etc..
However, because of our outstanding nature and the trust we have achieved from our past relationships, Golden Equipment has been awarded a contract worth $ 60,000,000 (Sixty million United States Dollars), for the construction of a foot bridge in the PJ axis, to reduce the rate of traffic jams.
However, in other to make this contract a success, Golden Equipment is hereby seeking interested International candidates to occupy some vacancies that currently exists the company.
The following positions are yet to be occupied by interested persons.
Account Manager, East Malaysia
Job Code: BTMJJJD
Account Manager, (Batu Pahat)
(US$3000-US$6000, 2 vacancies)
Job Code: BTMJDTZ
Assistant Marketing Manager
Job Code: BTMDVAP
Corporate Business Manager
Job Code: BTMJTVD
FIRE DIVISION Manager
Job Code: BTMJAZV
Cleaners (5 Candidates only)
Job Code: RTWEN
SECURITY DIVISION Manager(Sales)
Job Code: BTMJAZD
Marketing Executives / Managers / Senior Managers
Job Code: BTGPMK
Business Development Manager - Recruitment & Staffing Industry
Job Code: BTMJVPJ
Product Manager / Executive
Job Code: BTCCP
Sales Ladies (10 Candidates only)
Job Code: SDCCP
Salesmen (5 Candidates only
Job Code: SDCWQ
Interested person should apply immediately. Send your Resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Syed Abdulrahman