fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "cost of transfer" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address looks like addresses used in "ATM SWIFT card" scams)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "Payment Representative Office" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 23:35:43 +0330
Subject: Re: Unpaid-Beneficiary Through ATM CARD!!! rdp14
It is obvious that you have not received your fund due to lack of payment for the bank, cost of transfer or the documents, and also due to past corrupt Nigeria Governmental Officials and with the foreign Banks, who almost held the fund to themselves for their selfish reason and some individuals who have taken advantage of your fund all in an attempt to swindle your fund which has led to so many losses from your end and unnecessary delay in the receipt of your fund.
The National Central Bureau of Interpol enhanced by the United Nations have successfully passed a mandate to the current president of Nigeria his Excellency President Goodluck Jonathan to boost the exercise of clearing all foreign debts owed to you and other individuals and organizations who have been found not to have receive their Contract Sum,Lottery/Gambling, Inheritance and the likes.
Now your payment will be send to you by ATM card that will be coming alongside a custom pin which you will use to withdraw up to $10,000 per day from any ATM machine that has the Master Card Logo on it.
Also with the ATM card you will be able to transfer your funds to your bank account. The ATM card comes with a handbook or manual to enlighten you about how to use it. Your ATM CARD payment would be sent to you via UPS or FedEx. Because we have signed a contract with them which should expired in one Month time.
Below are few list of tracking numbers you can track from UPS and Fedex website to confirm people like you who have received their payment successfully.
Tracking Number: H7909125721
Tracking Name: E MNAICKER
Click on the Link Below and Put the Tracking number Above;
To effect the release of your Compensation fund valued at $1.5million through ATM CARD, you are advised to contact the director of payment and delivery officer Below;
Name: Mr. David Omo
TELEPHONE NUMBER: +234-809-128-8840
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
On contacting him do provide him with the following informations:
Your full Name:
And also state how much is your funds.
As soon as we receive your Details, we are going to issue the ATM CARD on your name and also a copy will be sent to you, before delivery of the ATM CARD.
Note that you are advice to stop every contact with any Bank or office, and do not pay that fees you are ask to pay.
Important Note: you are to pay for the UPS Courier Charges of US$155, to enable the UPS Courier send the ATM CARD to you through your Home address, and that is the only payment to send in this transaction.
If you want to see your ATM CARD before you Pay, we can Attach a copy for your View.
You are to use this Information to send the payment, for the Courier Charges
RECEIVER'S NAME: MR. DAVID OMO.
DESTINATION: LAGOS, NIGERIA
TEXT QUESTION: COLOR
TEXT ANSWER: GREEN
Our good office will release you funds.
Mrs. Maria Adewale
Nigerian Payment Representative Officer.
CC: National Central Bureau of Interpol with United nation and F.B.I.